Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Twin-scroll, Dual Wastegates

Old 11-24-2008, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000

Tell me what you think about this.

I want a pretty decent sized turbo for my Tiburon so i have been looking at the garret gt35r for a long time now, but tonight i found one i may want more but it will be alot more work. Its the borg warner twinscroll s300sx. I dont know a whole lot about twin scroll turbos but it looks to be a great turbo with faster spool and flow more than a gt35r. I know that getting this will require a special twin scroll manifold but hey if im going to turbo i might as well go all out right?

Here is a link to the turbo

Now on to another question.

Dual wastegates. What benefit are they, Pros and cons. I have very little knowledge about dual wastegate set ups so any help is appreciated.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Dual wastegates with twin scroll is a good idea. Just better boost control really. That turbo and setup will put you into getting a custom manifold made for probably around 1200 and overall will easily double your Manifold, turbo, wastegate cost. If it matters to you that is not BB or water cooled which the GT35 will be.

Personally I am shooting for up to 500hp and higher with direct port and I went with a GT35.

What do you have planned for the built motor?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 PM

Yes I know the twin scroll will make everything more expensive but i am going to slowly piece it together. The manifold isnt that big of a deal to me since i was thinking of getting one custom done anyway.

In regards to the turbo. All the reveiws i have seen for it say that it performs just as well as a BB turbo even though it is only journal. Having it not be watercooled is my only real problem with it. Garrett has a twin scroll gt35r aswell but people say it doesnt perform as well as a twin scroll should so i am weary of it.

Engine build. I plan on doing a full rebuild. I want goals similar to yours ericy but kinda want to take a unique approach to get there. I was thinking 82.5-83mm pistons. most likely 82.5 because of wall thickness reasons. compression ratio of 9:1 Maybe 9.5:1. 9.5:1 would require custom pistons but also would yeild a little more power vs 9:1. Maybe 9.5 is to high though, Even with amazing tuning?? I will also be getting Pauter Rods, Wish i could afford the titanium ones on their website! Crank will be knife edged and balanced along with the rest of the engine. Port and polish along with full ARP bolts. Cams i am still not sure of may just stay close to stock for the time being.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:18 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Youre right along with me then it seems. For pistons mine are 8.8 CR. Also the machining on my motor and crank was almost a thousand just for reference. It was a lot of money into the crank balancing it after the knife edging. For my turbo part of the setup I went with the 35R with a T3 non twin scroll housing with .63 AR. This is purely for quicker spool.

If you are in need and will be doing twin scroll with Tial 44s I have two flanges here for the manifold side if you need them. Not sure how I ended up with 2 but PM me. They are like 25 a piece but I would let them go real cheap as I have no use for them.

Any tuning plans yet? I am interested in the build, sounds like it will be another big power Tib. A few of us now are coming to that point it seems.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:29 PM

I may just have to take you up on a flange! i'll let you know in the next few weeks. I know machining is expensive lol i have been checking around at shops. Tuning im not sure. I really want the megasquirt deal from KFX but who knows when that will finally fully surface. If megasquirt doesnt work out then i most likely will be going with haltec not sure what model yet however. I wouldnt expect anything to quickly on this build though it will be over the course of 2-3 years. money is tight right now since i just changed jobs and have a week old baby to take care of.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Twin scroll would be an interesting setup, but a waste of money to me. You would be able to get there with a 3071 easily, and still have better spool time then a 35R. Unless you plan on raising the rev limiter somehow you won't see the full potential of the 35R.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

i would look into a GTK turbo before i would bother with that turbo personally.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:45 PM

The GTK does look pretty interesting. I will look into it more and see what other people think of it.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

I have a new System Upgarde intercooler if your intrested..
Pm me fing02.gif
Old 01-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

If you go with haltech, get the E8, and you might want to contact Enthalpy on this forum for a plug and play harness. He takes the haltech wire loom, removes the factory ECU from the factory computer plug, and solders all the necessary wires to the necessary places to get a basically plug and play setup, except for additional sensor wires you need to run yourself I.E. Maf, GM air temp sensor, etc.