Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Twin Charger

Old 06-06-2002, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Charger

There is a guy that I was talking to, that was saying he was going to buy the *new* HKS twin charger.

It features a supercharger running at 8psi and a turbo running at 6psi.

I laughed cause thinking about it, that just doesn't seem right for some reason. Though I suppose thinking about it, it would be similar to twin turbo. But then thinking about it, does a RSX have that much room???
Old 06-06-2002, 08:13 AM

you can do it

but it just doesnt make sense

Its a waste of money,...
Old 06-06-2002, 10:30 AM

IT does make sense but not at those low numbers...

He is getting rid of turbo lag.

If this is the type of system I am thinking of it works like this.

When you launch you can actually dump the clutch and not have to feather it out to keep the rpms up.
The sc gives you the low end boost.
then as you get to turbo boost point the SC "clutches" out and goes free spin getting rid of parisitic drag (well not all but most)
at that point the turbo is fully spooled and is running on its own.

great system
Complicated as hell. To much to break if you ask me.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:12 PM

Turbo/super-charging at the same time is very possible. You join a rare club if you manage to pull the one off. I remember years ago of a guy either by the name of Rick Dobbertin, or Matt Hay,(sorry I can't remember which) that was the GOD at this amazing feat. He took your ordinary smallblock, added twin turbos which fed into twin roots stlye supers, finally dumping into twin Dominators. And to top the sucker off, he ran the Plumber's Nightmare NOS system. This was only a show car, so I don't think this ever saw a run at full power. I tried looking for some pics, but came up empty.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:24 PM

It can be done... It has been done... but why?

Other than to say that you did it.

Very complicated... difficult to control fueling, timing and power delivery issues. Usually the supercharger becomes a restriction to power once the turbo /turbos get spinning... and the bypass channels are usually too small.

The end result is usually a small mountain.. valley... tall mountain dyno curve.... totally useless.

A single correct size turbo is MUCH better.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:41 PM
BV1

Ok I got it, turbo, supercharger, and a 75 of NOS, and to top it off, the SUPER E-RAM, lol... forget that last one... smile.gif

-Steve
Old 06-06-2002, 03:58 PM

Dont forget the Twin Turbo Zet
Old 06-07-2002, 04:38 PM

From what I picked up from a friend of mine who saw a Civic HB racing at that had this setup, I'm guessing that when the supercharger fails, the turbo achieves, and vice versa. The hatchback was the only one with this setup and did win the race. I'm not sure what cars it was racing, but I'm sure they were alright themselves.