Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbosocks turbo kit on higher compression

Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE
Default Turbosocks turbo kit on higher compression

Hey everyone,

I haven't been actively posting on the forums in a while, but I've been coming back to read quite often. Now that I'm putting my car away for the winter and considering spending some quality time working on my Tib, I felt it was a good time to ask this question.

I paid a visit to Turbosocks' website where he sells turbo kits and other related accessories. I was interested in his entry-level turbo kit (with 8 PSI of boost). As some of you may or may not remember, last winter I completed an engine rebuild along with increasing the compression ratio by shaving down the head about a millimeter. The car drove all spring, summer and fall without the slightest issue (except a significant decrease in fuel efficiency... lol). What I was wondering was if I bolt on Turbosocks' turbo kit, will I be safe to boost? I'd rather not go into an E85 fuel conversion, but I would definitely get the car tuned properly at a local dyno. It would be great if someone currently running on a higher compression with his kit could offer their insight into this, if there are any. I'd like to see Turbosocks also in on this.

So with all this considered: stock internals on a higher compression ratio while still running on higher octane fuel (but not E85), is it worth it? If so, what sort of gains could I be looking at?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Yes, with the proper tune, you shall be fine.

More than likely looking at some where around 200-220 Whp at 8 Psi.

Even your stock internals with "high compression" you should be fine. 8 psi and maybe your 10.5/1 compression isnt going to be anything horrible, even 93 octane should be fine to run on that setup.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Thanks dude! With that kind of Whp, would I need to consider a better clutch, or is the stock one still good enough to handle it?
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Most people on here, will tell you to go with the Act 6 puck. I would say give it a try!

Also you will want to look into what you are going to use to tune this vehicle, I would say to use a AEM FIC 1910. It is great and not to expensive. A bit of a PIA to install but you can do it with basic wiring knowledge.

Also look into fueling, Turbosocks makes a great FPR kit that is bolt in, then all you will want are a set of injectors, and i would tell you to buy a set of 440CC Green tops from Ford Racing. They are plug and play and will support around 300 Whp with a AFRP.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:20 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Turboron forgot to mention Fuel pump get Walbro 195lph or 255lph 195lph keeps your stock FPR.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

I've been boosting on my stock clutch with no slip issues at all.

Fairly positive that Supercow has been boosting 10lbs on a super60 on his stock clutch with no issues aswell.

I do a lot of DD with my car, so to have the smooth engagement is much nicer, especially in rush hour.

With your higher compression, i would not exceed 10psi.

With 8psi though your should have nice pull from idle to about 6k, that turbo will prob reach max efficiency before that though.

The only person I've heard of boosting on higher comp (1.8p swap) was iheartmyrd, think he was only pushing 6psi though.

As long as your tune is good, you have no worries
Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Awesome, thanks!