Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbolator Exhaust Tip

Old 05-30-2002, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbolator Exhaust Tip

Hey all-
I was in a local exhaust shop and saw an advertisment for this exhaust tip.

http://www.ultrafitexhaust.com/newprod_turbo.htm

It sounds like a good idea in theory. The guy at the exhaust shop says that by the time you hit 3900 RPM (don't know what car) the valve is wide open. Furthermore, on a backpressure test, it increases pressure by 1 lb.

So I'm just looking for some feedback and letting people know what's out there. I was on a dodge dakota and a jeep board and saw a lot of positive comments about the product on both boards.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

That site says it'll help lower emissions, but will it help performance, or hurt it in any way?
Also, all of the tests they did involve bigger engines... and you mention it received good comments from Jeep and Dakota owners, but I gotta wonder if it'll have as much of an impact on a relatively small four-banger or even a smaller six.
If it works, though, then that's cool!
Old 05-30-2002, 06:14 AM

Well the idea is that it if you have a realitively free flowing exhaust, it helps the higher rpms. However, additionaly backpressure at lower rpms actually improves torque.

I saw a post referenceing another post at club mazda which reviewed the product favorably. Thus, when I post that here, it's third hand info. I'll try finding more info. . .
Old 05-30-2002, 06:14 AM

I am curious if it helps out with that infamous exhaust scaveging effect at low rpms. If it did it would be great for those who have 4-1 header and have lost low rpm tourque. My real question is at what pressure level is the valve force to open. It couldn't be based on RPM unless it had electronic control wired to the tach. It might be more effective if it had adjustible springs.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:35 AM

I put a free flowing 2.25" exhaust in my '00 Impreza 2.5RS capped off with a Turbulator tip. For those who don't know what that is, it has a flat 4 cylinder engine. It performed as advertised.
I had concerns about loosing too much backpressure with the system that I installed, so I added the tip. It helped in low-end for torque. It also helped in keeping the exhaust "tuned" so that it prevented the pops associated with systems set up with the wrong flow characteristics.
Old 05-30-2002, 06:38 AM

I'm sure the valve is pressure activated. As I said I don't know what car the guy was talking about when he quoted 3900 RPMs. But I assume he was talking about small 4 cyl.

Anyhow, 3900 RPM is right in the midrange of power, so if it is wide open there and linearly closes down to say 20% at idle, that would be pretty neat.

Chaos- Did you get any dyno results from the tip?
Old 05-31-2002, 05:05 AM

What does anyone think about using the inline bullet vs. the exhaust tip?
Old 06-01-2002, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I've been waiting for this to hit the boards. www.jcwhitney.com has sold this product for about the last year. And I've alternately laughed about it, and seriously considered installing it.

The whole problem I have with this product is that it is "universal". Each engine has a backpressure "curve" if you will (for lack of a better term). Some engines want high back pressure at idle, and medium pressure at mid rpm, and next to none at high rpm...others WANT a constant level of backpressure regardless of RPM...others want a "bell curve" effect of backpressure. Each engine is different. To try to sell this product and claim that it will work on ANY engine, on ANY exhaust, regardless of modifications sends up serious warning flags....

If this product were "adjustable" via some kind of a pressure line (think of a wastegate or BOV for your exhaust), then I think it might have value. Then you could "tune" it to fit your engine. However, a "one spring rate fits all engines/exhaust" theory just doesn't fly with me.

The theory behind the product is sound, it's the implemetation where it falls flat on it's face.

Let's take 2 cars.
you have a bone stock 2.0L. You install the 2" or 2.25" unit.
And you have a modified accent with headers, CAI, BTB, Onpol worked IM, full 2.5" exhaust. You install the 2.5" version. Now...are we supposed to believe that the 1.5L unit breathing throught he 2.5" restrictor tip will show the same benefits as a 2.0L breathing through a 2" or 2.25" restrictor tip????

BMW has been using this type of valve on the 3 series for some time. 75% of the time, it only uses one outlet of the dual outlet muffler. When you go to high RPM or WOT, the second tip opens up, lowering the backpressure at a certian point. However, BMW spend countless hours and R&D dollars to get this just right for their STOCK motor. The spring rate at which it opens is carefully preset by BMW after all those $$$ spent and hours testing.

How is one company going to equal that for ANY motor of ANY displacment size on ANY sized exhaust?

Are warning flags raised in your head? I sure hope so.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:36 AM

Sorry. No dyno with the tip. There aren't any AWD dyno's around here.