Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbocharging the Six-Cylinders

Old 01-07-2002, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharging the Six-Cylinders

I have a friend looking into getting a Santa Fe within the next year. It'd be predominantly his daily-driver. He's already test-driven one, and fell in love with it. However, he wants to get some better performance out of it when he buys it, and is looking towards forced-induction.

I haven't heard anyone say much about turbocharging their Santa Fe engines, but the V6 third-generation Tiburons in Korea have been. Are there kits that will be in development or currently available, or will this need to be a custom-fab project? He's not looking for anything StOoPiD fLy, just a little extra power...maybe 100-150 HP. I told him he might want to consider a supercharger instead, but once again, I really don't know about availability...

I won't ramble too long on any of this...just looking for a general concept of what's out there for the Santa Fe engine. What's everybody know?
Old 01-07-2002, 02:27 AM

i dont know if there is room in the engine bay for a turbo
Old 01-07-2002, 02:31 AM

I took a peek in the engine bay when he test-drove the Santa Fe. There's room...about the same ratio of free space as there is around the Beta in a first-generation Tiburon.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:46 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

We'll be dabbling with the idea of a twin-turbo kit, but nothing is definite yet.

From what I've seen in the 2003 Tiburon's engine bay, there is enough room for the piping and turbos, barely.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:28 AM
Red

I posted on HyundaiTuner, and I'll post it here as well.

According to our man Cheuk, the V6 engines are absolute crap for taking horsepower (at least the current series, this should include the 2003 Tiburon as well) The rods are weak, the pistons are weak, the crankshaft seems weak, it just isn't a good engine to start with.

Sure, you can have all custom rods and pistons made, but that's a $1400 project and you'll be waiting for about 3 months as they (Crower) prototype the rods. You'll also want to buy ARP studs for everything (I'd expect no less than $250) and then you still have to buy bearings ($150) gaskets and seals ($250 easily) and STILL not be ready.

You don't just "bolt on" rods and pistons, it turns into a $3000 upgrade at that point.

-Red-
Old 01-07-2002, 03:40 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6, 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road

Red, we'll be doing it as a "complete" kit like the 2.0L Beta kit we're developing (comes with pistons, clutch, etc.). Full testing will be done and if the rods break at the preferred boost then we'll add rods to the system.

Sure it won't be cheap, but anybody wanting to twin-turbo a V6 shouldn't be looking for cheap power anyway.

I'm not sure yet what to do about the weak crank as that is totally out of the question for including in the kit.

Anyways, I'll be supercharging mine wink.gif.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: 4doorGL ]
Old 01-07-2002, 06:05 AM

Okay, let me clarify. This guy is NOT looking to turn his Santa Fe into a 5,000 HP demon. He's not looking for madd boost or a $40,000 mega-project. He's looking for maybe 300 HP or so. Just something to give the SUV a little more leverage against it's own weight. Like I said, it's gonna be a daily driver, not a Baja endurance racer.

Will this engine handle a simple single turbo application? How much boost can the stock internals withstand? He's not looking to do anything crazy enough to merit new pistons and a cylinder overbore. Should he supercharge instead, since this is the case? Are there any superchargers out there that work with the Santa Fe engine? What would be a good recommended turbo for the Santa Fe?

It's good to read, and I'm interested in the theory, but this thread was not intended to be about turbocharging the 2003 V6 Tiburon. I don't really care (in this thread, anyway) about if there's room in the Tib engine bay, or if they can handle 80 pounds of boost before the cylinder walls cave in. The purpose of this thread was just to get some ideas of basic forced-induction performance options for the Santa Fe. PLEASE cover that one topic before branching off onto other tangents. sad.gif
Old 01-07-2002, 09:55 AM
Red

No, you're missing the point. The Santa Fe V6 is the exact same Delta-series engine that will be used in the upcoming 2003 Tiburon... We didn't get off on a tangent, we were discussing the engine that you wanted to discuss.

And as I just said, no it will not handle power. You're probably talking about 200WHP total capacity if you turbocharge it... However, if you could N/A the hell out of it, you could probably get more WHP with lesser torque.

Either way, the V6 is not a strong engine.

I did make sure to put that point in my reply, but you obviously missed it:
According to our man Cheuk, the V6 engines are absolute crap for taking horsepower (at least the current series, this should include the 2003 Tiburon as well)

-Red-
Old 01-07-2002, 11:16 AM

Even though the Santa Fe is a Delta engine its setup is towards torque. Even though I am building a twin turbo delta engine (Tiburon setup) with special pistons and rods (Expected power 380HP at 1 bar), I would supercharge the Santa Fe instead of turbocharging. Supercharging will work better on a SUV since boost will increase from idle on. The problem is that you will never get 300hp, you will have to think more in the 250hp max(not wheel but brake hp). I do not remember what is the max HP of the delta injection (double capacity in my project)but I think it will problbly be able to supply enough fuel so you can keep your std.injection.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:34 AM

I forgot to mention I had a 2.5 Delta engine on a Sonata and was always impressed with how freely it reved for a V6. I like the engine and I am positive that with pistons and rods it will take 380hp. I am running my beta 2.0 at 1 bar with std internals, with reduction of CR with a spacer but no gaskets which amounts to 9 to 1.

Anyway what is Cheuk´s point of view? Is it weak (materials) or is it that even with pistons and rods the engine will not generate torque and power as a V6 is expected to produce? Remember is a 2.7 engine not your usually large 3L+ V6´s so expect the power of a 2.7 engine.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Mario ]