Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo won't fit %$#@&*!!!

Old 06-05-2002, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo won't fit %$#@&*!!!

The story: I'm under the hood, taking measurements for a custom downpipe from UFB, when I notice something: "damn, that alternator is big." Upon further measurements, and actually getting the manifold and turbo and holding them in the engine bay, it turns out that my exhaust elbow will occupy the same space as the alternator. This is a bad thing.

After some remeasurements and brainstorming, I have found that there is no way I can get this turbo in there with the stock exhaust elbow. So now I'm left with three options:
    [*]Get a downpipe with that star bolt pattern (basically, it is elongated to encompass both the turbine and wastegate outlets) -- expensive[*]Get an actual T3 turbocharger so I can share some common parts with the UFB kit (and not need as much custom stuff done)[*]Punt, sell what I have now, and save up for a complete kit, so I dont' have to worry about this fitting b.s.[/list]I'm going to try number 1; hopefully it will not be insanely expensive. A T3 at this point would make it more than just getting a kit, and the last option (which is looking quite attractive right now) is more expensive than I was hoping for.
    Ugh, any advice on this? thanks,
    ac
Old 06-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Go with a different exhaust manifold?
Go with a different turbo?
Who needs those pesky alternator's anyway. Yank the sucka! tongue.gif
Replace the AC condensor with the alternator? (major custom work there!)
fabricate some kind of "spacer" to move the Exhaust manifold/turbo "out" closer to the radiator to clear the alternator?

Sorry, I guess I would have to see photos to see what this setup looks like, but I'm guessing that the Turbo manifold is a "log" style with the turbo on the "left" hand side as you look at it from the front bumper. Moving to a 'center' manifold mount for the turbo would eliminate the problem.

Where did you source this turbo manifold from?
Old 06-05-2002, 09:49 PM

Actually, it is a center mount turbo; problem is, the exhaust elbow comes too far to the left (passenger side). And this is a small turbo! T25

I'll e-mail you some pics so I can post them here. Ugh.

Thing is, I'm at a point where I can punt, probably recoupe most of my losses, and then save up for a kit. I just don't want to end up spending more than 2k, when I could probably get a kit with better (new) parts and more power for 3k.

Pics are on the way,
ac
Old 06-06-2002, 03:29 AM

hey why not just go with a different exhaust manifold? or have the one you have reworked or something? ive got a plasma cutter and a mig welder. im sure we could make quick work of it. if your interested let me know, cause i plan on reworking mine a bit to allow better flow.

i hear you on the giving up and selling part. for some reason im not all excited about this anymore. id rather code, and play dark age of camelot lol. anyway yah im thinking of selling everything i have. dunno if ill go through with it or not. (prolly not) but the thought creeps through my mind every time i open up my closet and see the parts.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:34 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Why not turn the turbo around and have the exhaust on the driver's side? The inlet side can draw air from the passenger side of the car just as well as it can on the driver's side. Also, you are most likely going to run an intercooler so you could route the piping back to the other side of the engine that way.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:09 AM

Azzy, skierd,
both good ideas. my original fear was that the turbo would double back on itself and touch the block (and there's a water pipe under there as well). I will pop the hood when I get home and see what options I have.

thanks all,
ac
Old 06-06-2002, 09:50 PM

Pics: