Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/)
-   -   turbo vs supercharger (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/turbo-supercharge-forced-induction-29/turbo-vs-supercharger-1676/)

Shadohh 09-25-2002 05:04 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>JAWS 021:
Spacer has to go... If they plan to go higher than 200whp

Ill post results of the alpine kit with low compression pistons, 4 big ass injectors, and a nicely tuned unichip early november

Thats if i dont switch turbo manifolds... which would make my results pointless</div>i guess you have a point. If someone gonna bother putting in a head spacer, might as well take the tiem to put pistons in.

JAWS 021 09-26-2002 08:16 AM

plus if the pistons go in... they will be stronger so you can add some giggle gas for up to 300whp
eek! eek! eek!

that would be nice... to bad the sound of a grinded differential will kill everything...

Red 09-26-2002 08:39 AM

I would generally just suggest that the head spacer be left out, and the stock pistons kept. Basically, just keep the kit to where the block isn't cracked open.

This change does multiple things:
#1. Makes more power on less boost
#2. Faster spool time
#3. Significantly reduces fuel deatomization issues due to lack of quench clearance
#4. Better off-boost driveability
#5. Opens up the turbo market to those who don't want to open the motor

The stock tri-layer metal head gasket is used in Korea on the 600+WHP monsters, so it's not gonna be a weak spot. The stock head studs are useable to around 300-350whp, give or take, so you're not gonna worry there either.

Even eight pounds of boost, properly tuned, on a USDM 2.0L BETA with stock compression should be enough to punt your dynosheets into the 200whp area.

JAWS 021 09-26-2002 08:42 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Red:
Even eight pounds of boost, properly tuned, on a USDM 2.0L BETA with stock compression should be enough to punt your dynosheets into the 200whp area.</div>Good... im hoping at 12 i get into the 230-240 zone

wait... im not at stock compression
DOH!

Red 09-26-2002 08:56 AM

There are other limitations to stock that you don't have with lower compression motor...

In your case, it's still very possible to get your 220-240 whp goal on the lower compression. Biggest thing for you is getting a more efficient turbo for that boost level, along with a better intercooler.

The Alpine kit's tiny little turbo and smallish intercooler is perfectly acceptable for an 8psi setup -- it would actually probably be right in it's perfect efficiency range.

For you, I'd suggest around a T3 with a 0.67A/R, or a T3/T04 hybrid with a small 0.53 A/R. Somewhere around there at least smile.gif An intercooler that's just a tad more efficient and larger would also help the cooling process... Along with some good tuning (especially on the ignition timing side) and you could likely pull your desired horsepower numbers out of your wanted boost level.

My low compression motor on the Haltech makes more power everywhere versus the stock compression setup. It's just because I have a LOT more control over timing and fuel delivery versus my bandaid fixes and the stock ECU on the stock motor. GOOD tuning makes a world of difference on any motor smile.gif

The stock compression + 8psi would be infinitely do-able by Alpine if they got someone in there to take ownership of the proper Unichip tuning.