Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Tubing - New Update inside

Old 08-13-2002, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Ex Hyundai Owner
Default Turbo Tubing - New Update inside

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is good here, but just to keep you all up to date, one thing I learned today is:

1- Without the FAL fans, no way my t3/t4 turbo would have fit.
2- With my manifold, there isn't much room for tubing. (if I want to be able to show it)
3- Also as Cheuk had stated no way to put an external wastegate where it normally goes. (understand when a shop decides to sponsor you with so much, sometimes your hands are crossed) therefore the wastegate will go on a bypass to the downpipe, not sure yet how, have to wait and see.
4- Tubing cannot be polished cause of the metal, and I really hate powder coating, cause it scrapes off, until I have the money to purchase nicer piping... the piping will have to be Chrome, yes you heard it right, chrome, yes I know the heat retention yes I know it's not full performance, but unfotunately, I don't want crappy looking piping, and I don't want to take away from the look of the rest of the engine. We'll see how it ends up. (luckily I got powerful fans now)

But as far as the piping, here are some pictures that Cheuk posted that may help explain what I mean a little...

As you see in this picture, look at the piping close to the radiator, well they have no 2nd fan that's why it fits, I do have a fan there, so they can't do that, which means my tubing will be a little higher to where you will immediately see it once opening the hood, My turbo is located exactly the same way as in this picture, and the filter instead of going down, I asked them to face it up, and put a heat shield on it... If possible:

For those going with the champion manifold similar to this picture, you will have no worries about this, but then again, that one has no external wastegate taking up space, we really truly don't have as much space as I thought:

OK, I wasn't gonna post this picture cause it's only for my Sponsors to follow up on, but I want you guys to understand what I mean, if you look at where my hand is holding the fans, the piping is almost to my ring then it makes the bend to the turbo...

MODS: please if it's in the wrong forum, please move to the correct one

thank you

[ August 13, 2002, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Bat Lord ]
Old 08-13-2002, 04:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Man... all that tubing looks like a big pile of complicated. I'd love a turbo, but BatLord, you must have the patience of a saint to have done all the R&D that putting a turbo on a car requires. Same goes to anyone else on here who has done the same.
That car is gonna be nice, though! Can't wait to see the results!

Actually... I gotta turbo question: In the second photo, that shows the turbo setup on the stand, the air filter sits right where it would pick up hot air that's come through the radiator and near the exhaust.
BatLord, you mentioned you asked your shop to put a heatshielded filter on yours. Would some form of CAI pulling air from the fender well not work with that setup? Wouldn't that, plus the intercooler, help lower intake air temps even more than just the intercooler?

[ August 13, 2002, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: stickshift ]
Old 08-13-2002, 05:03 AM

I know that this is less efficient but has your shop thought of flipping the fans to the front of the radiator for a push type set-up? Or simply putting the fan on the passenger side on the outside of the radiator? It seems that this would be a simply fix. Since your possibly getting chrome pipes anyway it's obvious that your willing to sacrifice a small amout of performance.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:12 AM

Ok to answer your questions, and they are good questions too:

BatLord, you mentioned you asked your shop to put a heatshielded filter on yours. Would some form of CAI pulling air from the fender well not work with that setup? Wouldn't that, plus the intercooler, help lower intake air temps even more than just the intercooler?
I specifially told them, I want to stay away from any type of CAI setups, this is too expensive for me to lose just cause of some puddle or anything similar, so that I do not want, but yes, I can form something on the bottom, that directs cold air to inside the engine, I will think about this, since it also means it will dirty up the engine too much...

Or simply putting the fan on the passenger side on the outside of the radiator? It seems that this would be a simply fix. Since your possibly getting chrome pipes anyway it's obvious that your willing to sacrifice a small amout of performance.
Main reason I would not like this, is cause I will be doing the same thing random does, and have that fan running all the time, to cool the turbo somewhat, if I remove it and put it on the other side, it hurts that purpose...
Old 08-13-2002, 05:47 AM

[ August 13, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Viper966 ]
Old 08-13-2002, 05:53 AM

lol, thanks man, I forgot that I can't use the big one, IMAGESTATION always disables it tongue.gif
Old 08-13-2002, 06:04 AM

Bat do you have a vented hood too?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:06 AM

NOPE, don't want any dirt in the engine, and risk of the beautiful MIAMI WEATHER, with hurricanes and the storms... frown
Old 08-13-2002, 06:10 AM

That's what I thought. I would recomend that you search diligently for someone that can build you polished stainles pipes for the future. There may be away to coat the insided with ceramic to avoid the common discoloration process if your trying to avoid that.
To keep things cool are you running a secondary oil cooler?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:15 AM

not as of yet, but i have thought about it, it's just that unfortunately my funds are finally out, I didn't even have any flow for the chroming, but they are trying to see if the shop will do it for free as a favor to them... if not I will have to go and whore myself