Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Is a turbo timer a good investment?

Old 07-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Turbo
Default Is a turbo timer a good investment?

For the factory 2.0 turbo on a Genesis? Or did Hyundai make it so that a timer would never be needed?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you drive hard and shut off the engine, you will have lots of hot under the hood for a long time. If you drive hard and then drive easy for a few minutes, no worries. A turbo timer might be a good investment if you intend to drive hard and then park it all the time, including weekend races where your car is off between runs. Otherwise, it's a good way to have people kindly remind you EVERYWHERE YOU GO that you left your car running as you walk into a store, your house, your church, the post office, etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

Originally Posted by Stocker
it's a good way to have people kindly remind you EVERYWHERE YOU GO that you left your car running as you walk into a store, your house, your church, the post office, etc.

I can attest to that. The car can sometimes run for up to a minute and a half + depending how the timer is set up. My timer also lets me see my turbo temp and my voltage for some odd reason.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT

From what I have seen with the cooling of modern turbo systems a timer is not needed. Like stocker said as long as you take it easy a few minutes before turning the car off you will be good. But its always cool to have your car running for a lil while after you get out.