Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Time

Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after some debating over the idea I've decided to go through with it. To be honest someone pointed out that this may be the way I'm handling my moms passing and losing a 17 yr old friend a few weeks before- if it is then its because I realized lifes too short to not do the things you want...lol That was way off topic but they just pointed it out to me...anyways back to topic...

I am buying a motor off of proturbotib next week. Then I will be having the head sent to Viper for his P&P. This will all come together slowly but surely. My goal is to have it all completed with in a year. I figure with all my current bills and repairs and having a life thats a fairly good amount of time. My goal is between 250-300WHP and I would like people to chime in on their idea of parts, where to get them, and how much. I have my own list already made. most of which i just searched on ebay. I know Ill find parts here when the time comes too. I saw Airborne is running 300whp with a decomp plate. I know thats not the route you all would take but Im tryin to keep it relativley cheap but not buyin cheap a** parts. if in the end i need to get pistons i will. but he said hes runnig that because of how hes tuned it and everything.
Would like to spend around $3k+-

Parts List
Turbo--
IC- what size? i found one that is i think 20" x 6"x ? lol for like $160
Pistons--decomp plate
Rods-- necessary?
BOV--HKS SSQV-$65
Fuel Pressure Reg
Boost Controller--HKS $170
Manifold-- a lot to choose from
Couplers--
IC Piping--2.5" $180
Injectors-- size? 440cc good?
SS Oil Lines--
Fuel Pump-- 255lph $100
3 gauges-- about $120
Turbo Timer-- $90
Cams--240 degree with ecu reflash for $550??
TB--65mm Kspec $270 i think
Intake Mani--not sure about airram yet
Clutch--

Im sure Im missing parts or there are problems with the ones I have.. THATS WHY IM POSTING.
Some of the fields are blank because Im not sure what would be best. Like for the turbo- i want somethin quick spooling with good accel. I saw tibby01 post on turbos but im still a re re when it comes to understanding that. so looks like i need that book fast

A big field i get confused on is the electronics part. Help with that would be greatly appreciated
Im going to buy that turbo book everyone is always talking about so dont yell at me sayin do research first lol. im going to but i would just like to get an idea of parts and cost. so please dont rip me a new one.

EDIT-- and im not just another newb on here sayin "oh snap i want to turbo my ride so i can smash all the scivs!" im serious about this and will be doing more and more research on it.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

alrighty here's my few tips.

get a ic off http://johnnyracecar.com/ - they apprently are down right now but I got a really really nice ic with tons of brackets screw holes already welded in and everything with your choice of tanks for 180.

for bov, thats not a real hks for 65, I got my dsm bov that I'm just going to polish up for 50 and I've got a spair flange for one here in steel if your interested.

as far as fuel/electronics if your shooting 250 right out of the bag, go with airbornes ecu + injectors. I think that sounds like the best deal. I'm using a vortech fmu right now and it's doing good, but I'm only running like 3-4 psi and people say that the stock injectors shouldn't be taken past 8 psi and when swapping injectors you have to do something on the electronics side.

I got my couplers/clamps from http://hightempsilicone.com/ - good prices, look great too.

oil lines - get some earls stuff off of summit racing. 1/8 on the feed and 1/2 on the dump.

airborne had a deal going on a clutch, check that out.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM

Thanks a lot bro!
Old 04-27-2006, 04:33 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

Well i have Turbo piping,D/P and 650cc injectors for sale if your intrested.
Email me at UNIQ74@sympatico.ca
smile.gif
Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Its really nice that youve decided to go through with the turbo setup. Without the help of my mom who passed also I wouldnt be able to turbo at all. So my car is kind of dedicated to her. smile.gif

Im not sure youll need pistons and rods at this point. If your only going for that amount of hp its not that necessary. For a manifold Id look for one that will distribute air freely..if all you can find is log style then get that but I wouldnt recommend it. Try equal length. I have 340cc injectors and their enough from what I know so 440ccs are good enough in my opinion. For electronics, why dont you try the smt6? its not super expensive..i believe the whole kit costs $369 and for maybe 60$ or a lil more theyll throw in a map sensor for you. Thats one part I see youve missed.

Ive spent almost 4 grand on my turbo but it came out to so much because I had so many problems from the person who first installed it. Take your time if your installing it yourself and if not find someone very reliable to install it. Trust me you wont regret spending the extra money.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2006, 02:17 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If 250-300 is your goal and your not going to want much more, you should go with a T3 super 60 or maybe look into some of the garrett BB's, injectors should be fine esspecially if you go dual rail, TB is a good size but will be useless without P&P manifold or airram (i know a guy who dyno'd his mustang with a BBTB without port matching the IM and he lost HP throughout the band), for the manifold go equal length (ram head is sexiest) the benifits are worth it, The couplers just have to be reinforced to handle good (10+ psi) boost, 2.5 IC piping is good, dont worry about rods- mad john had his stockers to 450 or so, for the electronics id say SMT-6 on dual rail as its the next best thing to standalone, no low speed tuning and itll stay inspectable, plus down the road you can do alot more with it - adjust timing, control nitrous, alter ECU signals, etc... Clutch, prolly want stage 3 or a good 2....
Old 04-28-2006, 08:12 AM

Thanks a lot folks! I cant even describe how excited i am haha all my friends are gettin annoyed as hell i keep talkin about boostin the tib. now i know how all you members with some heavy mods feel!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 AM

Da'nati eh? You might be in luck wink1.gif. Ive got some turbo parts left over from when i was boosted. A few odds and ends. Id be willing to help ya out IF i have anything you need...i dunno. Big CSR cruise in tomorrow, you ever go to any? If so pm me or look for the tall dude with glasses in the orange 350z smile.gif.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:48 AM

^^lol havnt been to any actually. i belong to the site just havnt gone to the cruise ins but i also joined in winter. yea man thatd be great if you could help me out! but i might go if i do look for the tall dude with either a silver tiburon rd2 or black svt

would it be best to just have my TB and mani ported to match instead of upgrading to the 59-61mm one on kspec? since i dont REALLY feel like spendin 600 on the airram?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 AM

^Id say that would be your best bet if you dont wanna spend the money on the airram and tb...

And yeah its all good im all for helpin if i can. I work for my dad at his own mahcine shop also so if you need any machine work i might be able to get it done real cheap if we arent too busy. THe CSR cruise is lookin like its gonna be a good turn out. Ill keep my eyes peeled for the tib or svt...mustang im guessin? Ill most likely be in the Z or maybe the superchanged 5.0 stang, you should go dude.