Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Or Supercharger

Old 01-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Tiburon/RD1

I don't know if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find anything.
I'm not planning to boost in a short while, more of a future thing.
Not thinking about major boost though.

But that doesn't mean I can't read and learn all about it right?

I like turbo, becuase the power you can achive with it. Just kicks in a little later.
I like supercharger, because it gives you direct power, but not that power a turbo can give you.

I'm leaning to a s/c right now. More power all over the rpm range and the lovely screaming under the hood.
Ofcourse I do like the psssstt sound, but I just like the screaming lmao.gif

When you are going for boost you have to well maintain the engine and all, I know.
But what will be less harmfull for it? With the same amount of maintenance you peform.

And what do you prefer?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

im sure this type of topic has been covered somewhere, but i will respond anyway.. try searching harder though..

just with typing in turbo vs. super i came up with this in the search.

thread about turbo vs. super this is a debate btwn which one to get for what..

i dont really think you are going about this the right way.. seems like your going for the noises, and that shouldn't weigh on your decision at all.

do you want more power, or do you want something easier to install, that gives you instant power, but much less power?

i would have to say the supercharger would be less maintenance HANDS DOWN. you dont have to mess with your exhaust system AT ALL. you dont have to run any oil return lines, tap the pan, run any feed lines. the boost is linear, so it should be easier to tune. all your intake piping can be set up just like stock.

if your going for the easiest way to get more power, all the time, and not have to worry about messing with a whole lot, go with the super.

but if you want to go for something that will give you some nuts power, and not draw off your belts, and rob you of some power, go with a turbocharger..

and in my opinion being turbocharged and all, if the m62 supercharger kit would have been out when i was boosting, i would have went with that over the turbo setup, anyday of the week. it would produce a good amount of power, i would be able to have a really nice intake and exhaust system, and alot less maintenance.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:09 PM

Hurry for the sound of screaming babies! fing02.gif
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Thats cause you blow everything up SOCKS. wink1.gif

Small turbos give just as much power as a supercharger down low. I can probably make full boost @ 2300-2500rpm easy. When are you going to go full throttle that low anyway? You'd downshift.

Superchargers, at least on a Tiburon application, are harder to intercool and are less efficient than even a small turbo, meaning more heat. More heat = less power, more detonation problems.

That and the fact I'm making as much power with a simple turbo setup as someone who invested two or three times more than me makes on a supercharger system.

You want real power with less money, go turbo. You want an easy install and less maintenence, supercharger.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^100% agreed. i too love both sounds, but i'll bet you didn't know it is possible to put a blow off valve on a supercharger so you can keep that pressure sound.

i have a supercharger but it's not on the car. i'm scared of it, meaning ii travel to florida all the time and am afraid of it overheating or causing internal problems from being run so long. it's a 16 hour trip. all you would have to do with it is bolt it on and get unichip.

with turbo, it's a constant fight with maintenance. maybe not from the start, but overtime things will start going bad like oil leaks, hose leaks, misfiring, seals cracking. socks will tell you. if you are doing a turbo, you have to do it right and rebuild the entire engine to be able to withstand the changes. some turbos are not done right, they are bought and slapped on. i wish those members luck in about 4-5 years.

supercharger can also destroy your engine. i believe i have random's old supercharger. he's not on here anymore but i think he definitely had mysterious detonation problems that he couldn't work out himself for a long time and he was our brightest mechanic, knew the car inside and out. that is why i'm scared of his supercharger that i have, i'm not financially ready to be able to put up with the crap it will give me.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:40 PM

so does anyone know for a fact if using a supercharger for a prolonged time(ex. road trip..) it'll explode? and you have turbos on your cars but you almost make it seem like we should get the super cuz the turbos hella work to upkeep and basically sounds like it'd be best for strictly racing.
im not even close to being an expert on a car's engine but i heard if you like accelerate light to light, like gun it, stop at red, gun it,etc with a TURBO, you risk melting your engine/exhaust... is that even true bec the mechanic races and he seemed pretty trust worthy....
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

^^ I've see factory Supercharged cars with up to 300,000km's on the clock, so no, it wont explode lmao.gif

If you drive a turbo car hard for an extended period without a cool down, then yes you could get hot enough to melt something. It'd be extreme abuse though.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM

so im a really tidy/neat person, especially when it comes to my car, no one leans on it or anything, but im not the greatest with engine upkeep other than oil changes etc. so then spending the 3k for the alpine would be the best choice? and what other aftermarket would help my engine be more efficient. i did the headers, exhaust, cai, but there has to be something else like a cam gear?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM

If you search man you can find what you are looking for.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM

you will be surprise how much information you can find by using the search function. laugh.gif