Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo reliability..

Old 04-07-2002, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo reliability..

I am afraid that if i fit a turbo kit iŽll destroy my tib.
Firstly i squeeze the gas pedal all the time
Secondly one friend of mine told me that if i fit a turbo kit iŽll never stop paying money for repairs.
Is this true??
Old 04-07-2002, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It depends on how you set it up. 25 PSI on stock internals with little or no additional fuel, yes, you will destroy your motor.

When dont right, turbo'd cars are safe and reliable. I do suggest you do some reading on the subject so you can make up your own mind. Also, talk to shops in your area. As THEM about the reliablity of aftermarket turbos. Keep in mind, their opinions are slightly biased, as they will be trying to SELL you a turbo kit, but just ask them how long they would warranty their work.

Turbo's are safe, and reliable. If they were not, why would so many Manufacturers use them in their own sports cars? Are Porsches, VW, Audi, Fiat, and the like unreliable? No...why? They turbo systems were well designed.
Old 04-07-2002, 05:13 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Umm, I think fiat was a bad example random. wink Fix It Again Tony
Old 04-07-2002, 10:49 AM

They havent been sold over here for 20 years (?) thanks to reliability issues and emissions. wink
Old 04-07-2002, 03:39 PM

first off, skierd: you knwo fiat owns ferrari right? i think they got something right.. tongue.gif

secondly: it all depends on how you design your turbo kit.. it was written by mr corkey bell that racing 1 mile under boost will put as much stress on your engine as driving 1000 miles w/o boost.. which is mostly true..

if you slap a full turbo kit into your car (pistons, rings, BBTB, BBIM, intercooler, BOV, etc) you should have a rather safe and reliable engine, and if you beat the crap out of it, you're looking at an overhaul every 50k miles or so.. maybe new rings, valve job, spark plugs, that kinda stuff..

just keep in mind it's all on how you design it, and how you drive it.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:12 AM

And ford owns Aston Martin, does that mean every Ford is a 200,000 luxury car? rolleyes.gif