Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbo questions

Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/accent
Default turbo questions

Ok im thinking of turboing my 2.0 and im woundering what are options or recommends on tuning the car and what prices could i be looking at..

Thanks help is appreciated.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Tuning options: there are a bunch, and only a few are a good idea. Even if somebody hands you a list of what to look into, you will need to search and study to figure out the rest of the story.

(begin rant)

If you are going to *successfully* turbocharge your car, you will be doing a great deal of studying before you buy the final setup. How much money you waste before aquiring the final setup depends heavily on how much research you are willing to do before buying anything.

Everyone who has turbocharged their cars and is still around HA knows this, because they did it. Most of them are resentful when a n00b comes around and asks to be spoon-fed information they know a) they got the hard way because b) the whole story can't be spoon-fed to you. Unless you pay WAY more than your car is worth for a shop to do the work and tuning for you, you will be doing it yourself, which means you will be EDUCATING yourself as well. Even if you buy a mostly-bolt-on kit, you still need to know what you are doing to go from 85% to 100%

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a good place to start, and there are threads on this website that will tell you everything else you want to know.

(end rant)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just trying to let you know what you are looking at involves more than a few hard questions.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Your looking at about 6 grand to do it the right way or you can do it the Tibby turbo way get a 1000 dollar ebay kit and go through 4 turbos and spend another 5k replace the ebay parts.

Tuning Aem fic is good, if you dont know how to wire and understand wiring diagrams or understand the diffrence in the technical term tape and intercept. Quit now.

Boosted is good and fun but know what your doing cause there will be bugs and problems.

But you can always look forward to that. If you want more spoon feeding, there is a Search button there is guides on what you need and everything.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

I am one of those bitter members who has been through a few builds and tossed money around during the course of my project... However I am very willing to give advice and information to save others the same experience. That being said I am at the point now where I've been through multiple piggyback tuners and now use a standalone which blow the piggys out of the water. I've used turbos of all sizes with both journal and ball bearings.

The one thing I will say is that EVERYTHING needs to be custom.

Learn what you can from this site, various outsourced reading material and make a very very specific decision. If you aren't able to diagnose and repair mechanical mayhem of all kinds then this is not the route for you unless you have money to wipe your ass with, realize you won't bolt a kit on and jump to a magical power number like 300whp. Things take time, money and know how.

Oh and it's wondering not woundering... Just sayin'
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

How did I not see this thread! lol. I want to give + rep but I don't see the + rep button? (I'm on my tablet looking at the android version of the site if that makes any difference).

Just do what I did, go buy a semi-built turbo car that already has 225+ awd hp! I bought it for less than half the build cost.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 AM

buy a hssonda
Old 02-19-2013, 01:31 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/accent

Honestly.. Im still a young kid just turned 17. I figured out how to swap my car an work out a few bugs by myself with the help of 1 friend. Im now looking into turbo knowledge im not say o lets go buy a turbo kit an slap it on it will be a piece of cake no. Im willing to sit out there for hours and days to build something i know will be fun. And different. And i know alot of little things that people do in and how everything is custom made..

But anyways im just saying im willing to learn an listento everyones advice.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My advice: if you want to be taken seriously, learn to type in logical sentences. Use proper grammar and punctuation.

Seriously.