Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Questions...

Old 02-25-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Questions...

What would it cost to purchase a turbo kit piece by piece?

Could it all be a self-install?

Do we have a detailed listing of ALL parts needed?

What HP "gains" would I see from a self-built Turbo over an Alpine turbo kit?

Do we have all the sources to build our own?

I would love a turbo..but 3,500-5,000 @ one time is alot of funds...So I think a "project" turbo kit would be my best route..if possible/cost effective.

Thanks

Does anyone have a list with prices and also locations of where to get these parts?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:18 PM

Well, sure a Turbo is very costly, but it's not like you can put one part of a turbo into your car and wait to buy the other parts.

You can piece together a Turbo part by part if that's the ideal method for you, but in the end, it's not going to be installed into your car until your whole kit is ready anyway. So in essence, you're still getting the turbo when you've saved the money.

Maybe you can buy an incomplete Turbo kit for possibly $800 less without an intercooler and a cheapo wastegate, and then upgrade later... rolleyes.gif

The easiest thing to in my opinion would be to save for the whole kit, so you'd know all the piping and everything would match your components.

Any comments?
Old 02-25-2002, 12:22 PM

Oh, and one more thing, I trust myself with my own car, but I'd never install my own Turbo since I've never done one before. I know that installing a turbo takes a lot of tuning and configuring to get the maximum efficiency out of the unit, and that's just not something I would trust myself in doing unless I had at least assisted in a project prior to. So to answer your question, I'm saying "no," that's probably not something you could wholly do yourself. Labor costs will have to be estimated in the cost at some point.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:22 PM

Thats what I meant...buy piece by piece THEN install it...
Old 02-25-2002, 01:08 PM

installing aturbo isnt that hard if u have done exhaust work on ur own, u also gotta know how 2 tap for oil lines
Old 02-25-2002, 01:27 PM

My project is 6 psi of boost, intercooled. My budget is $2000 including tuning, and my timeline is to be done by september at the latest. If you are patient and shop around on ebay (and here) you can get some good deals and save with used stuff. I'm pretty confident I can do this project, but for that price, I am doing ALL the labor myself. That's why it's going to take so long.

You have to remove plugs from the block, tap the oil pan, extract stubborn bolts, learn a lot about oil fittings (see my other post). Not something you can throw together, but definitely doable if you're patient and do the research. I recommend Maximum Boost by Corky Bell and Turbochargers by Hugh McInnes.

good luck, and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

ac