Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo question

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004/Hyundai/Accent
Default Turbo question

I got a free Garrett water cooled T3. Now my question is what do I need to check when i get it? And how will I make this work in my Accent, which is 1.6l? Any help would be nice being turbo is a whole new level for me. And also is it possible to make it oil cooled without changing the housing?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: SRT4/Neon SOHC

Pretty much all you can do to check it without taking it apart is free play on the shaft. Up and down, and side to side. There should be none. If the turbo is a high millage turbo then you should either get a turbo rebuild kit from ebay or even better, have it done by a shop. As far as getting it to work I suggest you find someone in your area who has installed a turbo kit on a car, or once again take it to a shop and have them install it.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Vehicle: 02 accent

Turbo systems can be done by the home mechanic BUT if your level of turbo knowledge is "bolt it on, run the lines, and hope it works" then you should probably have someone else do it.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

First off, you want Water cooled. They are superior to oil cooling. You do not want to attempt to convert it.

Next, before you spend another dime, buy/steal/borrow "Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems by Corky Bell" BTW, check you local library system, they MIGHT have a copy....
Read it cover to cover.

Then you know where to go next, and if you are ready/willing to spend the $$$ required to install it on your car.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Elantra(Dead project) 1986 Golf(Track whore) 2000 Ranger(Daily)

+1 for maximum boost. Boost=torque, torque=fun, Torque is your friend.

You MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST read that. Its not even an issue of if you should or not, you MUST.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2004/Hyundai/Accent

Thanks for the answers. Sorry I haven't replied due to work reasons. Okay the dude flaked on me mad.gif but I am still willing to turbo my car. I have been asking around shops and stuff. Going to get the book, and then decide what to get. Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 12-19-2008, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Accent 1.6T

QUOTE(wilburisthecoolest @ Nov 14 2008, 02:59 PM)
+1 for maximum boost. Boost=torque, torque=fun, Torque is your friend.
You MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST read that. Its not even an issue of if you should or not, you MUST.

dito.gif

Im running a turboed 1.6 Accent. If you have any questions fee free to ask.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:38 PM

Vehicle: 89 Chevy Regular Cab Stepside

QUOTE(Random @ Nov 14 2008, 06:48 PM)
First off, you want Water cooled. They are superior to oil cooling. You do not want to attempt to convert it.

Next, before you spend another dime, buy/steal/borrow "Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems by Corky Bell" BTW, check you local library system, they MIGHT have a copy....
Read it cover to cover.

Then you know where to go next, and if you are ready/willing to spend the $$$ required to install it on your car.

Just how is a 'watercooled' turbo superior to a non-water cooled turbo? I'd REALLY like to hear your theory on this one.

Maximum boost is a great book to start off with, however it is becoming quite outdated these days but the basic theory is the prettymuch the same. There have been a couple other really good books that have come out as of recent, i'll grab the names when i get a chance for you.

You'll want to check a few things on the turbo, first off you'll want to check end play on the turbo, this can be done by hand but using a dial indicator is a much better method, this will tell you what kind of condition the thrust washers are in, and there should literally be none. Next is 'side to side' play. You are allowed and probably will have some play, as long as the turbine or compressor wheel doesnt touch the housings when you check it then it'll be ok to use for the time being. Another good thing to check is the wheels them selves, you can pull the compressor housing and the turbine housing off carefully (and i do mean CAREFUL) because its really easy to damage the wheels especially if they are ceramic (and some W/C Garrett turbos did have ceramic turbine wheels). Basically what you'll be looking for is any oil seepage, bent, chipped, or cracked vanes on the turbo wheels. If it all seems to check out, run it!