Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo?....Newbie!

Old 09-26-2001, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo?....Newbie!

Hello Everyone....I'm looking at Joining TeamSR as soon as I get the Money to. I'm 17 right now but I've got less than a month til I'm 18. I'm pretty poor since I have to pay for my car.

Anyway...what kind of turbo could I get that is still GOOD...while not having to replace a large amount of parts in my engine...and for a decent price?

Thanks guys...feel free to email me...I'm in TEXAS....Just north of Dallas
Old 09-26-2001, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Moving thread to ENGINE MODIFICATIONS FORUM!

This forum is for General MEMBERSHIP questions only.
Old 09-26-2001, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Since you live in Texas, there is the Dragon Fabrications system, but that is a methanol injected turbo system, for around $5000 to $6000 bucks installed and tuned.

There is the Alpine Devleopments kit for $1900, but expect to spend about another $2000 in installation costs and sundrie other parts.

If you do a search on Turbo, you should find the relevant information you are looking for.
Old 09-26-2001, 10:35 AM

Thanks....I've been looking since before I got my Tib. I'm lining up my mods I want to make. Can anyone list the turbos they have installed and the approx. price. Thankx...
Old 09-26-2001, 10:46 AM

Ummm my suggestion would be to heed Random's advice... He gave you the approx prices, and you will find everything you ever would want to know about them by using the search. Welcome to the board, and hang on, cause it's gonna be a ride...
Old 09-26-2001, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

I also suggest you do some serious reading on the subject to education yourself. Do a search on "books" and check them out of your local library or buy them.

Knowledge is power. The more you read and retain, more better your choices in making a purchase or completing and engine modification.
Old 09-26-2001, 11:27 AM

Thanks again guys. I'll be reading up. Now I just need the money.
Old 09-26-2001, 12:06 PM

Damn...I hear ya there man... smile.gif Good luck...
Old 09-26-2001, 08:48 PM

::gloats again:: Books are on their way! Should be here tomorrow or Saturday!

Knowledge truly equals power in applications such as this, man. For something as complex and potentially engine-ruining as turbo, you really don't want to try and slap together a cheap application. The Alpine setup seems to be by far the most complete kit available to Hyundais, but even with it, there are additional components that you need, and that you need to know that you need. A basic understanding of how the system works will also help when you start putting it all together, if you even think that it's something you can DIY. In addition that, it's just generally a good idea to know what-all you've done to your car, so that when people start asking about it, you have all the answers. IMHO, a person that knows how the modifications they've made work and how they give improvements is a far superior tuner than just someone who shells out dough to have a shop do their car for them, and doesn't know a thing about what's going on under the hood.

Anyway. There aren't really going to be any "cheap" turbo setups. "Cheap" performance comes in the form of a bottle, and even then, you need to really understand what's going on in order to install and use nitrous.
Old 09-27-2001, 01:01 PM

heh..I won't touch Nitrous. Not for a while anyway...and probably not with the stock engine. I just want to keep everything as inexpensive but quality as I can. Since I'm only 17...I don't have the income to afford everything I want. I'll be saving up..and if I could get some info from random in my email about the other parts that didn't come with the apline kit that I would need. Thanks.