Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Kit Coming Together

Old 11-13-2005, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok Ive got most of the things figured out such as exhaust intercooler, intercooler piping, turbo, manifold, downpipe, wastegate. I have read maximum boost and for the most part understand the majority of stuff. (it was a huge help) Anyway Ive run into a few questions still while im piecing my kit together. Im using the PRS4 standalone and will be running about 10 psi.

1. Injectors-what is the benifit of using a dual rail setup and is it hard? otherwise i was thinking 440s would be fine.
2. Compression- what should I aim for? I remember someone saying a decomp. plate would work fine so where can I get that?
3. Fuel things- Im going to run premium fuel and I was wondering if i need an fpr and what to look for/where to get it. Im going to use a walbro 255 fuel pump. anything else for fuel stuff?
4. LSD- is it needed for such low boost? i know it will help but I cant say if Ill be able to afford it right away or not. I know theres topics for which type is better so I wont ask.

I think thats all for now but I will post more questions if they come up. thanks in advance guys
Old 11-13-2005, 04:18 PM

Im not a pro, but heres what I understand those answers to be:

1. not real sure on the advantages of dual rail, but 440's should be alright for you
2. I think there are people running more than 10psi on stock compression... but i might be wrong
3. you will need something else either a fpr or fmu; something that changes with boost
4. the LSD would be completely optional. its whether or not you want and are willing to pay for it
Old 11-13-2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: Two 97 RD Tibs and 2010 Genesis Coupe

If you want a decopression plate i have a brand new one for sale from ALpine
Let me know and EMAIL me at UNIQ74@sympatico.ca
Thanks! fing02.gif
Old 11-13-2005, 09:30 PM

I'll try to answer some of your questions from my expeirience.

1: Some people run the duel fuel rail so they can work around the stock ecu and fuel system, it allows you to run a seperate fuel supply that is not controled by the stock ecu this way the stock ecu can't lean you out, since your going with a standalone ecu you will have complete control of your fuel needs so the dual rail is not neded and your 440cc injectors should be fine for 10psi.

2: the stock compressoion is around 10.2:1 and that is a little high for 10psi with the stock pistons, a good compression ratio would somewhere around 9:1 with forged pistons and around 8.5:1 with the cast or stock pistons, the Alpine plate brings it down to 8.5:1.

3: You should not need a rising rate regulator of fmu since you are going standalone, a good aftermarket regulator with a 1:1 ratio should be fine since you will be running your car off a map sensor and the prs with the 440cc injectors should be able to supply enough fuel for your needs without help, just some good truning.

4: an LSD will help alot with your traction but with only 10 psi I don't think it is totally needed, your car will be a tire frier off the line without it but as long as you don't run slicks nothing will break, but like I said it is a good addition to what you have and will help drop your 60 fooot times down alot.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:08 PM

my bad... i missed the part about ur standalone
Old 11-16-2005, 08:18 PM

Im also thinking about going with that Eagle vacuum manifold people have. I think its called something like that. Is that pretty helpful? What does each vacuum line go to?
Also, Im kind of confused with intercooler piping and how it runs. Basically Im not sure what to aim for for airflow. Like where it starts and where it runs to. I hope thats not confusing

Along with teh intercooler piping, do i need an intercooler with an inlet and outlet or jsut outlet. im so confused with the travel path of the air
Old 11-16-2005, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ I don't know about the Eagle vacuum manifold...

But the IC piping it will need to run from the turbo compressor outlet to the intercooler inlet. Then the piping will go from the intercooler outlet to the throttle-body. Somewhere along that last section of piping is where you want to have your dump-valve (plumb-back or BOV)... Placing it around 6" or so from the TB would be ideal.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM

That clears things up a lot

I was jsut thinking and I was wondering if it would be possible to spray a 50 shot as well on this. Not often at all but just wondering if it would be possible without redoing all the internal. Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

You should be able to safely spray a 50 shot on a stock tib with only an upgraded fuel pump and colder plugs.
Why not just get an airram, and not worry about the eagle manifold? tongue.gif
Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 AM

better safe than sorry... I think that you better put a decopression plate or low compression pistons... Boost is highly addictive.... you will raise it very soon....

If you want to spray, maybe could be a good idea to do a little bung (with a screw) on the intercooler pipe so you can install the NITRO...

BTW... do you have the PRS4 maps....

could you send it to me to tiburonwao@cableonda.net thanks...