Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

turbo help

Old 11-30-2002, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo help

i have a td05 turbo that i was going to put onto my 2000 tiburon. i was going to also add nitrous, but after reading up a little bit on it, it seems a bit expensive to do. as for the turbo setup, i know i need injectors, a downpipe, a manifold, a bigger intercooler, safc, and probably a transmission cooler. what fuel pump should i get, and what size/kind of injectors is necessary? what psi should i run? also, do i need boost controller and turbo timer?
am i missing any other neccesary things?
thanks a lot
Old 12-01-2002, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

Do a quick search of this forum... The pump issue was addressed a few weeks ago, down to the correct part number.

You do not need a boost controller. These are used to raise boost pressures over the wastegate's setting. However most wastegates are set around 8psi, which is about as much as you'd want to run right away on an internally stock engine.

As for the turbo timer... It all depends on how patient you are. If you can always sit in your car and let it idle for about 30seconds to 1min before turning it off then no you dont need a turbo timer. If you cant do that, then you might wanna think about it.

I would say you need a clutch, but since you say you need a tranny cooler I assume you have an autotragic...
Old 12-02-2002, 02:48 AM

i dont want to waste anyone's time, i know this has been discussed before, but it seems that there are a few different opinions on things and i just want to know exactly what i need and dont need to complete my turbo kit.
thanks a lot.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It depends on what you mean when you say "complete".

complete can mean "bare bones" just enough to get the car running under forced induction.

OR

Complete can mean 100% everything you need to put 25 PSI and 300+ HP to the wheels.

which "complete" are you refering to?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:32 AM

Well you could start building it... youll know what youll need once you get there...

If you need bigger injectors, pump, or whatever... the tuning will let you know...
Old 12-03-2002, 03:57 PM

skierd, he only needs a turbo timer if he runs the turbo hard. remember, the turbo doesn't really spool, or generate a lot of heat (enough to "cook" the oil or "gum" it), unless he runs the car hard enough (high enough on the power band) to spool the turbo. i know kids that have turbo timers that run EVERY time they turn their cars off, even if then just move their cars on a driveway to let someone back out of the garage. TOTALLY unecessary. just my two cents. justin, it's not really expensive, considering what you can do with a turbo. i'm not familiar with the td05, but let's say that the td05 can't give you the boost you need to achieve your goal, you still have the framework (manifold, safc or haltech, injector(s)) to achieve your goal. and possibly, the no2 will give you the "pre-spool" you need off of the line to get the competition. if you're not familiar with the spooling power of no2, ask on the forum.

[ December 03, 2002, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: turbulence ]
Old 12-04-2002, 03:32 AM

ok...
ive read that if you stay around 300hp you dont have to change some of the major things. i may be wrong. but i think id like to stay in that area.
by complete, i mean
-fuel pump
-injectors
-intercooler
-safc
-boost controller
-manifold
-turbo timer
is all this needed? more?

i have the turbo with internal wastegate, a bov,
kore manifold, and a turbo timer.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

justin:
For say 275 WHP, you will 100% need...

fuel pump
injectors
intercooler
safc
boost controller
manifold
New pistions (Hyper-U's or Forged)
Down pipe
New exhaust Preferably with high flow cat and low restriction muffler.
Turbo/Intercooler piping (from turbo to IC and from IC to TB)
Oil and coolant lines to the turbo.
Some gauges to keep track of things... Air/Fuel, Boost Pressure, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, coolant temp, fuel pressure...etc..etc..
Old 12-06-2002, 12:27 AM

random, if i'm not mistaken, aren't hyper-u's only good to like 280 crank hp? my thoughts are if i'm going to spend the money on hyper-u's, i might as well just fork up the extra dough to get forged. i thought that we could get 220hp with stock internals, 280 with hyper-u, and whatever with forged.

btw, i'm gonna hit 200 posts before i leave work in 30 minutes.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator

In reality, it depends on what design Hyper-u's you go with and how good your tuning is. In theory, with perfect tuning, and no detonation, there's no reason you couldn't eek out over 300 WHP with Hyper-u's...however, if you run into a bad tank of gas, or a sensor goes bad, or an injector clogs....*bam*, there go your Hyper-U's.

They should be fine for 275 WHP or under...250 if you want to be conservative.

If you go with forged, you shouldn't have ANY problems.