Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo blankets

Old 06-18-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Tibby
Default Turbo blankets

who has one?

recommendations?

any reviews of the ebay one? i googled it, some people say they are good, but i just cant stop thinking that it may be cheap and may go on fire.

no, i do not want to cermaic/heat coat the turbo. thanks everyone.

for those who do not know what a turbo blanket is

Old 06-18-2010, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Accent

Whats the purpose of these? Keep things cool?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Purpose is to keep things hot. Exhaust velocity doesn't spin the turbo, heat does. Heat kept in is more heat to spin the turbo.

If you're talking about saving a few bucks on an eBay one, I'd go with a brand name like Thermotec or DEI. If you're talking about 1/3 of the price, then go with the eBay one.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Never have, but would LOVE to hear some reviews/results from users..
Old 07-28-2010, 03:29 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I will be putting one on my setup today. I got it from ebay bid usual price for it is around 200 Euro (around $260US) in Germany with shipping included. I got it for under US$90 with shipping included. Will post on after I try it out
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

so, if i were to pour lava into my turbine, it would spin REALLLY fast? HAHA because that sh*t is HOT..

yes, the heat helps in spooling and insulating it would keep it more efficient, but without the exhaust velocity and flow, you could heat that sucker up to 1 million degrees Celsius and its not going to spin.

most people (that i know anyway) that would pick up a turbo blanket would be for keeping things in the engine bay cool (which is also one of the main purposes of these) instead of making the turbo more efficient by keeping the heat in.

if the turbo sits to high, it can effect the paint on the hood in the long run without a 'blanket' happened to a buddies accord. also, if you have wiring close to your turbo, the blanket can help to shield the wires from the intense heat.

although, one can argue, that holding the heat in would respectively heat up the compressor.. this would in turn heat up the charged air... hot air = less dense.... cold air = more dense... more dense = more power

which is something you don't want. this is just theory, but something to think about

don't know if its true or not, or how much it would affect things in the long term, but the extra heat would theoretically shorten the life of the turbo also.

for me personally, the only reason i would get a turbo blanket would be for its cooling affects on everything else, and to hide the 'usually' ugly appearance of the turbine housing.

they do a few things:

reduce under hood temps
allow you to touch the turbine housing (for whatever crazy reason you'd want to touch it)
protect heat sensitive components nearby the housing
keep in the thermal energy to help efficiency of the turbo
make the turbine housing look all perdy
then there's the 'theoretical' cons of heating the 'charged' air more and reducing turbo life.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

QUOTE (turbosocks @ Jul 29 2010, 01:42 PM)
so, if i were to pour lava into my turbine, it would spin REALLLY fast? HAHA because that sh*t is HOT..

Now that's just silly, where are you going to find ripe lava fruit this time of year?

But seriously, socks is right, heat alone won't spin a stationary device up to 100-150k rpm, you need pressure to do that. I had always heard that these were ONLY used to keep heat in like thermal warp SOLELY for the purposes of keeping heat away from the intake. I think a lot of misconceptions arose because these are generally used in serious race applications and many people just wanted to emulate that look on the street. I doubt that in daily driving they provide enough gain to offset cost. On top of that I'd me most concerned of the quality of an ebay product especially if it's that much less expensive. Putting any kind of shroud around something that gets that hot is pretty serious business, don't settle for the lowest bidder.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Vehicle: 2003 elantra

my turbo blanket is from boost logic. It DRAMATICALLY drops temps. its worth the extra few bucks to get somthing you know is not going to burst into flames because its made in china.