Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo Arrived Today!!!!

Old 02-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Arrived Today!!!!

My Garrett Turbo arrived today. $102, and man is this thing small. It's gonna spool up fast.

I'll have dimensions and pictures tomorrow (hopefully)

It's stamped AR .48 on the compressor and 0.49 on the turbine. It also has M24 on the compressor and M4 on the turbine. I'm not sure what those mean.

There's also a brass place on the bearing section with Garrett and three long numbers. I'm going to try and e-mail garrett and see what info I can get on it.

It's also missing the wastegate actuator, which has been a bitch to find. Anyone know a good source for that? I'm calling some junkyards tomorrow.

later,
ac
Old 02-21-2002, 10:48 AM

You got a turbo for $108?? how much hp is it going to give you? thats right in my price range tongue.gif
Old 02-21-2002, 01:07 PM

That's just the turbo. I still need about $2000 in piping, fuel regulation, manifolds, blow off valves, gauges, tools, and tuning.

And that's with no labor charges. I'm planning on doing everything except the pipe bends (and Summit Racing and JC Whitney sell pre-mandrel bent piping . . . ) myself, including welding flanges and machining mounts.

My goal is two phase. Phase 1 is 6 psi of boost for around 200 crank hp. Phase 2 will involve more boost, fuel regulation, and ignition timing, for 200 wheel hp.

This current theory is that this is a Garrett T2/25 off a Pontiac Sunbird (mid 80's). I e-mailed Garrett to find out for sure.

This is a long-term project that is just now coming through. I hope to get a web page up next month documenting my decisions, parts, and the installation/testing.

ac
Old 02-21-2002, 02:16 PM

Oh wow that is so great that you can do all of that stuff yourself. I'm a newbie to the car scene being only 16 tongue.gif I needa get a job so i can have some money to do this kinda stuff tongue.gif Thanks for the info man, looking forward to that website
~Nick
Old 02-21-2002, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2005 MINI Cooper S

Originally posted by ieathondas:
Oh wow that is so great that you can do all of that stuff yourself. I'm a newbie to the car scene being only 16 tongue.gif I needa get a job so i can have some money to do this kinda stuff tongue.gif Thanks for the info man, looking forward to that website
~Nick

NO! I thought I was the youngest... what day exactly?

Hey man, that sounds like it will be cool. Where's the pic? rolleyes.gif Hope it works!
Old 02-21-2002, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

im youngest rolleyes.gif
Old 02-21-2002, 10:09 PM

Well I'm probably one of the oldest at 26; but I'm sure some people around here beat that.

As for the machining work: it helps to have a friend with a machine shop. My buddy's dad has a milling machine, drill press, and arc welder.

I'll keep everyone posted.

ac
Old 02-22-2002, 01:50 AM

Well, an update: the turbo has been identified:

Garrett T25 off of an 87 to 89 Pontiac Sunbird. I have several places searching for a wastegate actuator part number.

I got this information from www.turbocity.com Really nice guy (although I missed his name). He looked up the markings on it and got that info for me. We talked about the condition and he doesn't think it needs a rebuild, based on what I told him (no shaft play, spins with minimal effort, absolutely no axial motion). Always nice to find someone who'll help you out and not rip you off. I'm just sorry they don't have any other parts I can buy from them.

ac

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Curtas ]
Old 02-22-2002, 02:08 AM

You can always look for an external wastegate. Probably easier than looking for an integrated one. T25 is small for a 2 liter, you will achieve your first goal but you will hardly reach 10psi with it at a resonable efficiency therefore heating excessively the charge an no incremental HP. For 10psi you will need at leas a T28 an ar 60. Best choice for 10 to 15 in the T series T3 AR 60 with ball bearings. Best GT series. Now for the amount of money you paid, What a deal!!! Hope you reach your goal. A good intercooler will help you a lot to cool down the charge, look for one to install pref. in the frontal area before the radiator or if you have an aero kit in the bottom openning.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:15 AM

Thanks for the input Mario. I have a parts company looking up the OEM wastegate actuator. It won't be cheap, but it will be cheaper than an external wastegate with plumbing.

As for the intercooler, Red was going to sell me his, but I haven't heard from him in a while. Probably on a business trip or drinking too much Corona smile.gif Anyway, I'm looking at the smaller SAAB and Audi intercoolers to mount in front of the drivers side of the radiator. 12x9 should be enough and not make my turbo too laggy (a problem native to our MAFS cars when boosted).

ac

ps. Mario, my car is a 1.8l, not 2.0. The T25 should work well, but for 10 psi, I will consider upgrading the compressor side for sure.

[ February 22, 2002: Message edited by: Curtas ]