Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Turbo advice.

Old 02-13-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo advice.

K guys i finally have the money to start buying my turbo kit. But I still have a few questions I need answered.

1) THis seems to be very good quality and not a bad price, I think it could be put on a tib with some minor mods. Can anyone confirm this or is there something obvious that would keep this from working?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33742

2) If I were to purchase a SAFC or SMT-6, I would not need any other type of FMU? I hear tim uses both the vortech 12:1 and a safc, but this is not needed right?

3) What is the best size pipping for intercooler and charge pipes. I have heard 2.5 and 3 inches? 2.5 will have less of a pressure loss, but is it too small?

I tried searching for the answers to these questions but I cant find definite answers, so I hope you guys can help. Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 11:01 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1) It'll be fine, albeit a bit small.
2) If you would need something to help get more fuel to the engine... the Vortech bumps up fuel pressure to get more fuel through the stock injectors.
3) 2.5inch is fine for 95% of Tib applications.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:00 PM

So if I use the fuel pump from a gsx and a SAFC then there is no need for the Vortech as long as im runnig low to mid boost with stock injectors?

Tim, when is that new manifold coming out? Im ready to start buying stuff but would like to wait and check this new manifold.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

You'll need the FMU to raise pressure for the injectors. The SMT6 or SAFC adds fuel to the engine by increasing pulse width on the injectors. If the Fuel Controller increases that pulse width and there is not enough fuel pressure to feed the injector, it will bog out and run......lean (I think) which is no good when you're dealing with Forced Induction.

Forced Induction + Lean = Detonation = Unhappy Tiburon Owner.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:45 PM

Yea when I read maximum boost i had to re-read the part about how The fuel pressure raises with a FMU and small injectors. Like I know that a pump that can push more fuel per min. than stock is needed, but i thought that that would raise the fuel flow to a large enough amount to work without the FMU. But i guess it cant really raise the pressure high enough the blast the gas through the injectors.

So i guess then Ill need the FMU no matter what, a bigger fuel pump and some type of electronic fuel managment system should be considered but not needed.
Thanks