Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Trying to prevent water/meth from evaporating

Old 09-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Trying to prevent water/meth from evaporating

Guys,

I run a 50/50 mix of meth/water in my Tib. The car is a daily driver but I dont use the meth kit very often so it sits for long periods of time. During these long stretches and to some extent on really hot days I have noticed that my water/meth mix is evaporating. I am really concerned because I have heard that meth evaporates at a much faster rate than water which could reduce my ratio of meth/water pretty significantly. In addition, its expensive, corrosive and toxic so I want to keep as much of that stuff in the tank as I can.

I did some searching on a couple of turbo forums and some people were experiencing evaporation with their meth setups during similar conditions. One of the suggestions I saw was to put a small check valve in the tank's vent tube and I think thats a really good idea.

My only problem is selecting the correct check valve for the job. A quick Google search reveals that there are thousands of different check valves available with a significant number in the size that I am looking for. I am worried that if I get too strong of a valve it wont let air in since the only vacuum source will be the slight pressure differential caused by the water/meth being used. I am also worried that a valve may have metal parts inside that will deteriorate due to the meth fumes.

Has anybody actually tried this before? Could anybody make any suggestions on a specific check valve? Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: '97 X3

meth vapourises faster then water yes

you have a vent tube on the tank??
where is the tank??
if its in the engine bay even the heat in the bay will cause the meth to vapourise significantly faster then ambient

a cheaper and equally as effective method would be to use a 50/50 water/ethanol mix....that or 50/50 water/metho
Old 09-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If you have an inlet-only check valve, you'd better have a tank with a pressure rating that can take whatever max. pressure you'll have on the hottest day. And a way to fill the tank would be nice, maybe a bypass for the check valve.