Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Throwout Bearing?

Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I have all my turbo stuff going in and I realized I didnt have a new throwout bearing. I want to put one in for sure because I dont want to do it down the road until I need a new clutch. Anyway, do you turbo guys use the stock one or is there a better one out there that holds power better? Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Alright dude...
I am assuming you are not exactly sure what a throwout bearing is... but thats ok.
A throwout bearing generally is attached to the center of the clutch, the clutch fork snapes into it and when you push your clutch in, you are pulling on the throwout bearing which is pulling on the clutch which disengauges the clutch.

From my experience with hyundai clutches at least, when installing a new clutch you have a throwout berring that comes with the package... I almost wonder if they are named "throwout" because whenever you do a clutch install you "throw them out" lol. Basically once they are popped into the clutch they are vertually unremovable, the only way it seems to realy get a throwout berring out of a clutch is to trash the clutch disk. Plus there is no benifit in "swaping" out a throwout berring, its not like there are any "performance" throwout berring, they are pretty much a universal part for a clutch. Thats why I was a little confused when you spoke of wanting to swap out your throw out berring....
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

QUOTE (Mahonroy @ Mar 22 2006, 10:22 PM)
From my experience with hyundai clutches at least, when installing a new clutch you have a throwout berring that comes with the package... I almost wonder if they are named "throwout" because whenever you do a clutch install you "throw them out" lol.

Ever heard of a SNAP RING? That's what they're held in by. They can definately be removed. You need a snap ring tool ($10) and a little patience. The tool is a reversed set of pliers. It splits open the ring, then you pull the bearing out. The tool needs to be hook shaped so that it can get into the spot where the ring is. Look at it and you'll see what I mean.

I'm gonna be pulling out and reusing a bearing today when I install another clutch kit. Done it several times now.

Most of the clutch companies out there give you the same ol' stock Valeo bearing. Even some of the clutch plates are modified Valeos.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 AM

All Valeo parts have "Valeo" stamped on them somewhere.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:33 AM

Actually guys, when I pulled my tranny, I bought a set of "snap ring" tools, and I found that to call it a snap ring is, by definition, incorrect. A snap ring tool is meant for a ring that has holes to insert the ends of the tool into. I found what works best on a snap ring is a sprinkler tool, which is like a snap ring tool, but instead of small round points at the end of the tool, it's just a set of pliers with flat tips, and they worked like a charm. Once I used that tool, I had the TO bearing out in no time flat.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 AM

It's a ring, and it snaps the bearing into the plate.................... ugh.gif
Old 03-24-2006, 08:08 PM

This is a snap ring:

http://www.naval.com/tube-amp/snapring.jpg

Notice the holes on the end. The points on the end of the snap ring tool is meant to go into those holes, making opening the ring very simple. The reason the "snap rings" on the TO bearing are such a PITA is because you're using a tool with round ends to push up against a flat surface. Your best bet would be to get a set of tools with flat tips on the side, that way you don't slip off of the surface on the snap ring. Just thought I'd share my experience with it.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:56 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

hijacked.gif

Its okay though, my question was answered. I jsut wasnt sure if there were different kinds that would hold up better to a turbo setup. Thanks guys