Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Thinking About Boosting A Tiburon

Old 09-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ Sep 27 2005, 02:50 AM)
And when you see those cars that make thousands of horse power, what engines do you think they are using? definitely not 4 cyl and not small displacement ones.

yup and lets see them drive em on the street
hell give me half of what they put into it and ill build a beta with thousands of horsepower and yet they still only run 12s laugh.gif
Old 09-26-2005, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Okay, first of all you need to understand ..
RD1 97-99 beta engine (this is the body style I have in my pic)
RD2 00-01 beta engine (this is the body style viper has)
GK i4 03+, there's also a GK V6

If I were you, I would get an RD series for around $3-6k, and put another $7-9k into the engine (talk to viper about that part, he is a hyundai tuning god in your area fing02.gif )
Don't let anyone talking you into spending $10k on an RD series tiburon .. LOL these things are very undervalued. And I personally wouldn't waste my money turboing a GK tiburon because the GK i4 you have the CVVT issue, plus its an extra 500lbs, and the GK V6 tiburon well all the alpine kits are crap .. so you could have more power and IMO a nicer looking RD tib with all the money you'd spend boosting + buying a GK.

Put simply, get a 99 or an 01 for under $6k and throw the rest into the engine, and ask viper for help.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (OdessitPashka @ Sep 26 2005, 10:50 PM)
And when you see those cars that make thousands of horse power, what engines do you think they are using? definitely not 4 cyl and not small displacement ones.

WTF do you think the Axis turbo car had under the hood? That was a 1000 HP 4 cyl... DEFINITELY a 4 cyl...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:52 PM

QUOTE (tibby01 @ Sep 26 2005, 10:02 PM)
i havent seen a over 400 delta yet. i have heard of a couple deltas running 300+ and blowing up. im by no means saying its not possible, but its a relatively simple equation to get a beta to over 300whp. you just need money.

yes, there is no replacement for displacement. but making a blanket statement that the delta automatically has more potential than the beta just because it has 2 more cylinders and a little bit more displacement to it is flat out wrong. the beta engine has more potential than TONS of v8 engines out there. get a run of the mill v8 engine and add enough boost to make 800+ hp and see if the thing holds together. there are many that will, but many that will explode too.

I definitely agree with you, but as I said earlier tuners started working on delta only 3 years ago. I'm sure that more great numbers are coming up.

I also agree with you that not every big engine will hold tons of power, but many will though. Beta has been around for a while and people know how to work on them and I agree that beta has a great potential for boost. Block is strong, no need for sleeving, good seals, and so on.

Delta on the other hand has aluminum block and I'm no pro at other things about delta. I do believe that soon there will be people that will show what delta can do. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think delta was underestimated at first and proved many people wrong and I think it will give good results in the near future.

Wow, OP shows that he shouldn't even be a moderator anymore.

The Delta, though it's been shown to go above 300 WHP now, still BLOWS GOATS compared to the potential of a built Beta.

Fact.

Just because I have an opinion about delta I shouldn't be a mod anymore? Come on man smile.gif

I know that everyone loves their beta here, but I think you guys need to see what else is out there. While beta is a great engine, there are better ones and it feels like everyone here thinks beta is the best engine in the world.

Also Redz, I think we only have 3-5 folks here in states that have fully built betas that push over 300whp and I don't think there is fully rebuilt delta out there yet.

With this beta VS delta issue we just gonna have to wait and see. So far I see that beta has accomplished more than delta and we should be proud of it, but only time will tell which engine is better smile.gif

Faith, who said about driving on the street? I'm just saying that the most powerful cars, the fastest cars are not 4 cyl ones. They all have big engines and there is a reason behind it.

Casper, 1000hp out of 4 cyl is nice, but ever heard of 5000-6000whp cars?

I agree with what zoned said. If you have only 15 grand to spend and want a unique looking korean car then go for 1st or second gen tib like I said in my first post. You can get one with lots of miles for less than 5 grand. Put 10 grand into the turbo kit and rebuilding the engine. It will net you nice results and you will stand out from the rest of the cars on the road.

If you really like the styling of GK and think you will have more than those 15 grand, I'd get one and supercharge it. But it's just me and what I'd do. Decision is yours to make man smile.gif
Old 09-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Man, I bet your so torn now onto which car to get, hehe I feel for ya.

In my opinion, if you want out of the box decent power go with the GK. But if you want a new one itll def. cost you more then 15k. If you want to build your car up then get the RD. I mean you can find a great RD2 for less then 8 grand even, and if you get one for that cheap then you have 7-8k to play with..and thats a lot.

I'll tell ya somethin..a couple months ago I wanted to get a GK just so I can have decent out of the box power because I had no money to build my RD up. I waited on it, realized i might get lucky money wise, (and I did) and kept my RD. Just bought my turbo kit and working my way up from there. Extremely happy I made that choice cause the RD is such a unique car, (and has a really good engine too)you wont see it on the road nearly as much as the GK.

So its all on you man, good luck! fing02.gif

p.s. dont be discouraged if you only see auto trannies when your searching (if your getting an RD). Wait a little bit and if theres no luck you can always swap a manual tranny in there or just turbo the auto..thats what Im doing hehe.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:43 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

No, you shouldn't be a moderator anymore because all you do is bag on our cars and the engines in them now.

Hurry up and sell your tib. You embarass me.

Anyways, there are TONS of Betas in the US doing TONS of HP and boost with minimal problems. Same in canada.

Look at Korea. They have a bunch of tibs there pushing well over 500 HP and many up around 1K HP.

There are maybe 1 or 2 Deltas doing 300 HP, all with habitual problems.

The Delta engine is just not as good for boost as the Beta. That's a proven fact and has been for some time. Someone will come in here and talk about how the delta is new, blah blah blah.

It's not. It's been around for what, 4 years now? We've had reports of 2 or 3 engines breaking 300 WHP. Reports. I've seen I belive one set of dyno's showing over 300 WHP, and that's off the same engine that's been blown 3 times to get it there.

Screw that.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

The two extra cylinders in the Delta are gonna cost you another $800 to build up. The Beta will get you that same power for much less.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:16 PM

I don't bug on our cars and engines in any way. I'm just open to other things besides RD tiburon and Beta engine. As I said earlier beta is a great engine to boost and to start with but there are better engines than beta out there and I don't think you agree with me.

I also said that right now beta is dominating delta, but delta has been out for only 3 years and I think better numbers will be pulled out of it. I don't think there were 1000hp betas back in 99 or were there?

Anyways, I'm gonna stop arguing because I'm just agrevating people with my opinion...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 PM

alright so seeing the comments and reading how the delta really hasn't been experimented with yet, i think im just gonna go for a RD. The thing is though, what miliage should i get around to boost it. Like, would a 60,000 mile car be reliable or do a lot of little things go bad with the engine. i know of a lot of cars that have SMALL and LITTLE things that need repairing after about 60,000. i need a RD thats around 5-6k, so how many miles should that have. Not only do i want to boost it, i want to make it look pretty while passing people.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:41 PM

Well, seeing as I bought my 01 with only 35k on it and in good condition for $7,575 over a year ago, if you can find one with that kinda mileage, it should be right in your price range.

Oh, and this is one of my cardinal rules : performance first, looks later. Build it up performance wise first (engine, turbo, tranny, suspension, etc.), then worry about paintjobs, bodykits, stereos, etc.