Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Supercharging Our Tibs

Old 09-21-2006, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yeah so evidently, Alpine is turning around... So does that mean that they are going to make their supercharger kit for the RD2 actually worth spending 3g's on? Honestly, boost has always been my thing, and for some reason I like supercharged vehicles more then turbo... especially these days since turbo charging is the new fad for cars in today's society. You can thank mistubishi, Saab, Subaru, Volvo, Volkswagen, and others. So how coold would it be to have a supercharged tib? IMO, very. However, without having to rob a bank to have a custom one built, there are no other supercharger kits are there?

I figured id start a new thread on this and see who else is interested these days...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

i think the alpine kit has always been good. only problems ive heard of were with the unichip and horrible customer support. that should all be turning around now. may want to pm user dmdicks (i think thats right) about it because he is helping them now with support and stuff like that.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

I have an alpine that i want to throw on but the problem is i won't do this until i get an OEM replacement computer. i still don't fully trust their customer service but i do trust their parts. thankful that alpine is around to make them for us. last i heard the kits came out of south africa.

i wish i could install this, but without that computer i don't think i will anytime soon.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:49 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Actually, the big problem with them was the small charger and the poor manifold design. The manifolds have been redesigned, supposedly come with a 10 PSI pulley, and put out a really decent amount of power.

I'd love to see one of the new kits, to see how it works.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

supercharger is better than N/A but the reason turbos are the "new fad" is because of the power potential that they have. The ability to turn up the boost enables you to pump out as much power as your engine can handle.

id like to build a centrifugal supercharged tiburon as they are more efficient and you can intercool them, it wouldnt be that hard to make, i think wed see some better numbers out of s/c tibs that way.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 PM

redz, you're saying they have a new RD design for us? my alpine manifold diameter matches to stock. it's pretty small. and the manifold isn't polished or nothing. absolutely like stock. polished airram makes it look like crumpled bread.

$3k is a lot of money. I paid $1k for mine used. i'd like to see pics of the manifold. it looks exactly the same as mine but with a throttle body attached and black coating. i know that's not the new one though because that pic has been up there for a while.

HP gains on mine are only like 20hp unless helped by aftermarket pulley and cam. you think they have something brand new and better for us? i'd like to see this. and what about intercooling or aquacooling??? isn't it dangerous just to run that supercharger alone?

i like superchargers so much better because you get power at all RPM and it's just easier to maintain. no crazy downpipes, catch cans, oil feed lines to run, MAF's to relocate and charge piping to come up with and fit. just a thrust. you can even keep your cold air intake.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:04 PM

I think I just posted above, and DMDicks has posted, that there is a new manifold design.

A mostly redone kit actually.

They are also playing around with the intercooler/intake manifold combo. Where it's inside it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Ive always wanted to supercharge my tib too. If this new kit comes out pretty soon, I will stop spending the money I have saved and save just a lil but more to get this kit. Plus I like the fact that you can keep mods you have already bought like a header and intake. And of course the sound of the supercharger is just awesome when you mash it.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM

wow... no way. i'd definitely like to see this new design.

but what about throwing it on a stock engine with stock internals? wouldn't it be the least bit bad?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Unfortunately, I want something that I can use with my airram.

I'd LOVE to get a shaft driven SC that sits in the battery area, it would be so easy to route the piping and all, and you could keep everything.