Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Supercharger or turbocharger???

Old 04-16-2002, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger or turbocharger???

First off let me start by sayin hello. Ok, I want to ger a supercharger or turbocharger for my car. It won't be for about anothe 9 months, but I'm looking into them now. So, here are the questions I have (for now):
1. Do they currently make either a supercharger or turbo for my car?
2. If I go turbo what mods should I do to my car now? (like exaust and things like that)
3. If I go with a supercharger what mods should I do now?

I dont want to do a mod and the get a charger, then the mod has to be taken off. These are all the questions I have for now. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2002, 11:17 PM

I hate to be the search Nazi, but here goes:

Do a search in the engine forum and you will find TONS of information regarding both superchargers and turbos.

We have several members running turbos, several building their own, and dozens of people "thinking about it".

There are a couple of kits available for both turbo and super. Alpine Developments, Ballistic Racing, CAPA, McIntyre Hyundai; the search will give you all the info you need.

Hope this helps a bit. Welcome to the boards!

AC
Old 04-16-2002, 11:27 PM

Curtas:
I hate to be the search Nazi, but here goes:

Do a search in the engine forum and you will find TONS of information regarding both superchargers and turbos.

AC
I did do a search but all that has come up where things for the tib. My car is a 2002 Elantra GLS. I didn't see anyone with a super or turbo on my style car.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:25 AM

the elantra has the same engine as the tib. So you should still be able to use all the tib info.
Old 04-17-2002, 01:27 AM

Sorry, I just assumed you had a Tib.

Yeah, the beta engine is the same for both, so one "should" fit the other. However, for supercharger purposes, there may be space issues, since the engine bay is a bit smaller (or just differently sized).

For a turbo, those changes won't make too much of a difference, although some pipes may have to be rebend or rerouted around.

Mostly though, same parts, same installation.

ac
Old 04-17-2002, 02:24 AM

yea most likely you would have to route all the piping diffrent etc. nothing big, just need to figure out another way to route all the stuff
Old 04-17-2002, 10:25 AM

here's a site for all hyundai's

http://www.phantomracing.net/index.htm/prices%202.htm

Notice quad throttle body.....drewl.....
and turbos and superchargers for Elantras, Tiburons, and Accents.....drewl....

[ April 17, 2002, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: CudaJoe ]
Old 04-17-2002, 10:34 AM

CudaJoe
Notice quad throttle body.....drewl.....
and turbos and superchargers for Elantras, Tiburons, and Accents.....drewl....[/QB]
I just did a little math and if I put on the quad throttle body I would have roughly 180hp. That's not to bad, but I want something in the 200hp range.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:52 AM

Hey, there are turbos and superchargers too... I just wanted everyone to notice the bizarre throttlebody..LoL
Besides...THe Alpine Turbos, I believe can get a Tiburon 2.0L from 156hp (from the engine, not the wheels) to 239.8hp or something close to that.
They should do a good deal....nm, you got an Elantra, I don't think they got Elantra Turbos.
O well, I tried to help ya out, there are turbo's and superchargers and lots of other Performance parts for Hyundais in that cite.

[ April 17, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: CudaJoe ]
Old 04-18-2002, 05:59 AM

I remember reading on the rpw site that was doing some r+d work on those quad throttle body setups that on the 2.0 beta motors there really wasn't much of a gain with the quad throttle setup. I guess there was a huge difference in the accents though.