Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Smt-6 Wiring Help

Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok i wanted to install a secondary set of injectors in the spring and i planned on using my smt-6. But its hard to visualize installing this when the diagram isnt very complete. Also the diagrams provided by perfect power arent the same. This is the only diagram i have been successfully able to obtain by actual hyundai owners, this is from tibsunited, provided by tim from speed-factor.

that diagram looks straight foreward until you look at my smt-6, it has 19 wires.

The diagram only shows one injector being wired, so im assuming that six other wires would be used to run the other three injectors, but i dont know which ones.

Is there anyone who has installed the SMT-6 into their tib that can either recomend a good diagram, make one, or elaborate on this diagram to suite my application?

i plan on using the SMT-6 to control ONLY the additional injectors to avioid the ecu leaning out my tune.

any help is appreciated
Old 02-05-2006, 01:28 AM

Ok i wanted to install a secondary set of injectors in the spring and i planned on using my smt-6. But its hard to visualize installing this when the diagram isnt very complete. Also the diagrams provided by perfect power arent the same. This is the only diagram i have been successfully able to obtain by actual hyundai owners, this is from tibsunited, provided by tim from speed-factor.

that diagram looks straight foreward until you look at my smt-6, it has 19 wires.

The diagram only shows one injector being wired, so im assuming that six other wires would be used to run the other three injectors, but i dont know which ones.

Is there anyone who has installed the SMT-6 into their tib that can either recomend a good diagram, make one, or elaborate on this diagram to suite my application?

i plan on using the SMT-6 to control ONLY the additional injectors to avioid the ecu leaning out my tune.

any help is appreciated
Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

the 4 extra injectors will wire up to the gray wire so.. positive side of the extra injector goes to the positive of the stock injectors and negative of the extra injectors goes to the smt6 (use at least 16 gauge wire )

for the extra MAP sensor you,ll need a 5 volts and ground,take the 5 volt and ground from your tps other other sensor
wire up the MAF in the smt6 also,that way you can tune the maf a make the transisiton from vacuum to boost much "softer"

side note each wire on the smt6 has its own function, when done with wiring cut the non needed wires or use a piece of shrink tube so it doesn't contact anything

basicly the "normal" part of the smt6 will wire up just like the safc,so this diagram is easy to find here, the "second" part for the extra injectors you already have the diagram and what i've tell you here

worst case, i'm almost sure i have a diagram i made on the shop lap top if youever need it drop me a note
Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 PM

the 4 extra injectors will wire up to the gray wire so.. positive side of the extra injector goes to the positive of the stock injectors and negative of the extra injectors goes to the smt6 (use at least 16 gauge wire )

for the extra MAP sensor you,ll need a 5 volts and ground,take the 5 volt and ground from your tps other other sensor
wire up the MAF in the smt6 also,that way you can tune the maf a make the transisiton from vacuum to boost much "softer"

side note each wire on the smt6 has its own function, when done with wiring cut the non needed wires or use a piece of shrink tube so it doesn't contact anything

basicly the "normal" part of the smt6 will wire up just like the safc,so this diagram is easy to find here, the "second" part for the extra injectors you already have the diagram and what i've tell you here

worst case, i'm almost sure i have a diagram i made on the shop lap top if youever need it drop me a note
Old 02-05-2006, 09:26 PM

yah your diagram would be great!!

ok so you said its like the safc diagram, but im assuming the colors dont match up? because the yellow on the smt-6 diagram goes to the ignition input (pin 47) and on the safc diagram the yellow goes to pin 41 for the air flow sensor. The brown on the smt-6 goes to the throttle deflector (pin 73), while the brown on the safc is for the ground. here is the safc diagram.

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?act=Att...ype=post&id=128

Also you said that the injectors wire up through the grey wire fron the smt-6 on the negative side of the injector, which side of the injector harness is the negative side? and how do you wire 4 injectors through one wire from the smt 6? in paralell? like this?

Also it would be nice to know exactly what you mean by "normal wires"

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-05-2006, 11:04 PM

ok so you said its like the safc diagram
by that i was meaning to you'll be using the same wires used by the SAFC on the ecu smt-6 color won't match, but should be well explained in your owner manual
yes you need to put the injectors in a paralel circuit
so far without hooking up the ignition you should have the following pin used on your smt-6

1 computer ground
6 MAF (to MAF cut wire)
7 TPS
8 tach output
9 good body ground
11 coolant temp
13 12 volt key on (from ecu)
18 MAF (to ECU cut wire)
21 extra injector ground trigger

here's the smt-6 pin out if you don't have it on hand
Old 02-05-2006, 11:44 PM

awesome! that diagram helps alot! even though the img shows that one row of pins has 13 when it really has 12, lol!

so is my diagram right?

what side is positive and negative when looking at injector?

/\ is the left or right postitive?

also what is AMP input?

what do you mean by "to MAF cut wire"?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:05 AM

pin 6 MAF this wire goes from the MAF to the SMT-6 (pin 41 on the ecu)
pin 18 MAF this wire goes from the smt-6 to the ECU (pin 41)

you need to cut this wire hook the sensor side to pin 6 of the smt6 and the ecu side to pin 18 of the smt-6 that way you can intercept the signal and cheat it just like it's done with the safc

pin 10 AMP input this is the signal wire from your MAP sensor sorry i made this pin out quite fast and i overlooked it (you can use a GM map sensor 2 or 3 bar they're quite cheap)

for the positive side of the injectors,most of the time it will be the wire on the passenger side of the car, wich is the right side on your pic,on some injectors the positive side is also indicated by a + sign..
but even if you hook them up in reverse they will work fine they're only solenoids after all

first row of pin is 1 to 12 second row is 13 to 24 so 12 wires per rows ;-)
Old 02-06-2006, 12:23 AM

ok im just about unconfuzzled. but what you said about the MAF sensor being altered to cheat the ECU, does this need to be done to run additonal injectors? i wanted to keep the stock injectors so the ECU cant lean out my tune, so its more or less unaware of the SMT-6.

oh and thanks for clarifying all this, it all makes so much more sense now

and what i pointed out was that in the drawing of the smt-6, if you count each block on there, it shows 13 blocks, instead of the actual 12 on the real smt-6, so the count would go, if this were right, 1-13 and 14-26. I know it doesnt really do that and it goes 1-12 and 13-24 but i was just pointing out a drawing error hehe
Old 02-06-2006, 07:31 AM

when "cheating" the stock maf and injector you're adding fuel at low boost low rpm, ecu won't notice it and it's done to smoothout the transition between the stock injector and the extra injectors
you don't need to hook it up to make the extra injectors works but transition will be a bit "softer"

you,re right about the drawing but take notes of the pin numbers instead

for your question asked in pm,
the smt-6 does have on grey wire (pin 4 map switching used to switch between tuning map A and tuning map B (other side of the switch would be to ground)
the other is gray & black pin 21 (wich is the trigger ground for the extra injectors)

do not use the gray pin 4 wire for now, try to understand the smt-6 better before wanting to actually run 2 tuning maps