Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

SC Belts

Old 09-18-2010, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default SC Belts

Just an FYI for anyone with a SC setup.

I have an 05 Beta II Tib with the MP45 Alpine SC setup on it with a homemade 6 rib drive pulley setup with a 2.25 SC pulley.

I put one of the new Gates Racing belts on it and get 12 lbs of boost, changed to a Gatorback and only got 8 lbs, everything else the same.
Put the Gates back on and back to 12 lbs. Gates says their belt is better, looks like they are right.

From the Gates website.

"If you want something done right, you have to invent it yourself. That's what we did with Gates Racing Serpentine Belts. You get more than just a cool color. You get high performance, leading edge technology that's 300% stronger with three times the heat resistance of stock belts.

Precision Belt Profile. Belts are precision ground, not cut, so they fit the pulley with absolute perfection.

Durable, Heat-resistant Overcord. The heat-resisting polyester fabric is reinforced with a patented EPDM compound.

Super Strong Tensile Cord. High-modulus, low-stretch polyester means Herculean strength for high load-carrying capability.

Heat Beating Undercord. Aramid reinforcement in a patented EPDM compound for three times the heat resistance and durability of standard belts.

Specially Engineered Adhesion Layer. Our patented EPDM compound gives Gates Racing belts extended service life."

Old 09-18-2010, 10:15 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It is probly just the shape of the V on your pulley. They are all designed with different depth and angles. For instance. I have a aluminum power steering pulley which requires much more force to not squeal then the stock one. It is deeper and has a more narrow cut so there is less friction area.

Change your pulley and you can use a standard belt.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005/Hyundai/Tiburon

The pulley I am using is a steel alternator pulley that has been adapted to fit the SC shaft. It's not an aftermarket pulley, it has the same contour on the ribs as the stock Tib pulleys. Eaton and Magnusson both recommend steel pulleys only for SC drive pulleys.