Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

S-AFC vs SMT-6

Old 01-20-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my SMT-6 for $260 on ebay, I saw one later for $200, but they tend to hang around the $250+shipping mark. The SAFC-2 has the rice factor jacking up the price, holding it at a minimum $200+shipping, generally more. The SMT-6 can handle 6 extra injectors and adjust ignition timing (but no ignition spark amplification like MSD as far as I know), you can also plug a MAP sensor into it. Other than needing a laptop to plug into the SMT-6, I don't see any reason why the SAFC2 would be better.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:32 PM

so if i got an SMT then i wouldnt need a MSD ? because as i hear the SMT can control ignition just like an MSD would? but if i got an SAFC then i would need to get an MSD as well because it does not have the ignition control feature correct?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You won't need the MSD unless you are running higher PSI so that you need boost retard. And if you need boost retard, you shouldn't be looking at the SAFC.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

QUOTE (hamhead)
You won't need the MSD unless you are running higher PSI so that you need boost retard. And if you need boost retard, you shouldn't be looking at the SAFC.

That's it in a nutshell.

I'm pretty sure you're right though tibbiette. About 80% actually. I know for sure though that we can use the Greddy Emanage to control ignition.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:14 PM

what ham said is true but people have had success using the SAFC and MSD combo.. although the combo would only work within a limited range of PSI depending on how much you're boosting but thats not to say its the perfect combo. Of course when you're looking into boosting real high and ignition retard is a must then the optimum choice would be to go with a stand alone .. but as far as options some people would look for the SAFC MSD combo or GREDDY EMANGE to do that as stand alone may be a money issue or programming issue
Old 01-20-2005, 09:19 PM

I dont know about in London, but in the US its more of an OBDII issue. If it werent for strict emissions, I would def go standalone with an extreme turbo setup.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:43 PM

how exactly would a standalone create emission problems?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 PM

Here, when you go for emissions, they are now requiring a hookup to the OBDII port. This way they can scan any codes and see the last time you reset the ECU (to clear the codes, since some dont come back right away). A standalone does not have a OBDII hookup, hence it will not pass emissions in the states 02.gif.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:02 PM

Well Tibette it seems that you need to make your decision based off of your plans. Just to give everyone an idea for their comments on this what do you plan to do? And if turbo what PSI and such?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 PM

Poeple saying that an SAFC can be better than an SMT6 in any situation (except for looks) doesn't know what theyre talking about. Any people that says the eManage is better than the SMT6 didn't take the time to look at what the SMT6 has to offer.

You can play with timing using the SMT6, and even if there's truly a limitation of +- 7 degrees (I'll need to check; I know someone who has an SMT6 on the Beta and plays with timing) it wouldn't matter much; if you need more than 7 degrees of tuning, you should use a standalone because your setup is definitively on the hardcore side.

I'm pretty sure that the SMT6 can do ALL what the eManage can do, and probably more. If you know of a feature the eManage has that the SMT6 doesn't have, please say so.