Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Revamping the fuel system

Old 12-15-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Revamping the fuel system

Well im currently in the process of rebuilding my motor and acquiring a new turbo, And i will need to upgrade the fuel components.

I am debating e85, and would like to know if the aem will be able to handle injectors big enough to run e85 along with enough room to be able to tune for boost.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

why wouldn't the AEM work with bigger injectors? it doesn't care what size injectors you have.. haha

what size injectors are you planning on? 600cc or so?

what fuel components are you looking at upgrading?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

WHP goal?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 AM

im upgrading my 400cc injectors , fuel pump, fpr.

i dont know what size i will need to meet my goal of 300-400 hp
Old 12-15-2010, 10:05 AM

Fuel pump run the WALBRO 255, FPR contact socks, he has a good RRFRP Kit, Injectors for 300whp are going to be about 550cc, if you run E85, you will need injectors that are .25 percent greater in flow rate than if you were tuned with 91. so like 750CC.

Are you rebuiling motor to stock, or you still going to run hi comp?
Old 12-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

guess it depends if you are running e85 or not..

without e85, you wont need to get lines or make sure your FPR is safe for alcohol. you will also need around 30% bigger injectors with e85.

brian ran 440cc injectors and was at 264hp in his tib. not sure what his duty cycle was though.

for around 400hp you would want at least a 48lb injector (500cc) id assume. obviously about 25-30% bigger for an e85 setup.

The FPRs in the kits I sell are alcohol safe, just an FYI. i know e85 is not good for aluminum over time, so im not sure how the fuel rail would like you or what dave did (if anything to his rail)

o, didnt answer some other questions:

heres how I would set up the fuel system for e85.

nylon braided hose (alcohol safe)

aeromotive or equivalent FPR

255lph fuel pump

and replace that little piece of hose in the tank with something alcohol safe

look into the whole aluminum fuel rail dealio.

non e-85 setup:

about the same as above, but you can go with standard fuel lines and not worry about the rail or the piece of tubing in the tank
Old 12-15-2010, 10:27 AM

im beefing up the motor, can thanks will be in touch.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:40 AM

Make sure you think of all the places you drive would suck to get an E85 tune and only be able to fill up at a couple gas stations, i would say for daily driven cars run 93 octane...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Does anyone make upgraded stock type FPR for our cars or anything that is equivalent. I much rather have a standard FPR then an adjustable so I have the piece of mind knowing it is a constant plus Adjustable FPRs usually do so by adjusting their diameter internally. IE more pressure equals smaller diameter less pressure equals larger diameter and greater flow. In my experience set regulators usually have a larger diameter while being able to maintain the required pressure.

But agreed for these cars upgrading any fuel component that is not compatable with e85. Now you can do this in steps and upgrade as things break down. But I would replace all fuel line that is not alcohol rated . as socks suggest and upgrade all the orings and seals that come in direct contact with fuel. But if you can just do it all at once and save the headaches.

E85 rocks for turbo applicatins it is very consistant energy wise keeps the combustion temps down and is equivalent to race fuel at most tracks. Plus it is usually cheaper then regular 87 because it is subsidized by our government. When I go turbo E85 conversion is a definite..

Only problem for most is finding stations that carry it. But in a pinch if you have a walmart/samsclub gas station who doesnt carry e85 they use 10% ethanol in all their gas so high octane at walmart will keep the system stable in a pinch.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

no one makes a stock type FPR for the tib as far as i know.. no real market for it, specially since you can get an adjustable so cheap.. adjustables are just a set it and forget it type thing anyway since its mechanical. you set the pressure once, and it will stay that way until you adjust it.

i guess i don't understand the 'piece of mind' dealio.. I haven't read of one instance of anyone running an aeromotive or similar having issues with the fuel pressure. Might be because I haven't really looked either, but if you have anything to show differently, i'd like to see it.

im not understanding the downfall of having an adjustable regulator? if you want some more fuel without upgrading the injectors and without adjusting your map, a simple +2psi or w/e adjustment, and your good.