Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

retard timing

Old 06-05-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do i retard the timing. Im running a 75 shot NX dry and think it will work more efficiently with the timing retarded a few degrees. I dont know how to do the timing on a distributor less car. Any help, thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 02:10 PM

You can retard the timing by purchasing an MSD DIS-2 ignition. You can also control timing to some degree by the use of an SMT-6, greddy e-manage or another type of engine management system that has ignition control. You can not just turn back the distributor as with an archaic ignition. The ignition is electronically controlled.

The question I have is this; What basis do you have to believe that retarding the timing will provide greater performance/efficiency? Is this something that you have read, or something that someone has told you? Is your car misfiring? To run a 75 shot, you should have upgraded your fuel pump by now, and maybe your fuel pressure regulator, although that is not required unless you are running the walbro fuel pump. If you are experiencing detonation with the 75 shot, you should upgrade the fuel pump. Also, this "dry" kit, does it add any fuel at all to compensate for your nitrous?
Old 06-07-2004, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Does NX have a dry kit now?
You don't need to retard the timing with a 75 shot. I would start doing that around 100.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:28 AM

That is what I was getting at with asking if the dry kit adds fuel, I didn't know they had a real dry kit. I don't think he needs to pull timing either, unless he is getting detonation.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:55 AM

Im going off the instructions. They say to retard the timing 4 degrees and I wanted to know if it was neccesary. I use an activation switch and then hit the spray button through third. Its only been in my car and used a few times, and installed in my driveway. So I dont think it is working correctly. Pretty much there is no reason to think that since everything is still fine with the car, Im just trying to be cautious. I appreciate your help.