Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

RED RANDOM CURTAS TURBO....

Old 04-16-2002, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RED RANDOM CURTAS TURBO....

I think it's a 16g turbo ONLY. It's off a stock Eclispe. Can this be used rather than a T25/T3? I want to piece by piece a turbo kit. A guy at my work has one for sale..no price yet..need to check if I can use it first. would this be a good turbo (blower, I guess) to use or no? I have no idea. All I know is I need a big wallet for a T/SC...so [piece by piece will be my route.

THANK YOU! Oh, and what "should" the price be for this item? So I know im not getting screwed over. Any special questions I should ask him about this turbo?
Old 04-16-2002, 11:26 PM

You could use a 16g, but be warned, the bolt pattern for our available manifolds (Ballistic Racing, Champion Auto, Onpol's favorite shop, etc) may be different. In that case, you will have to build an adapter plate, which isn't so bad. The raw steel cost me $6, and it will take about 2 hours at a milling machine to get it perfect.

The 16G is a fine turbo, but inspect it before you buy. make sure that the wheel spins (it won't free-wheel, but it should be easy to move with your finger or eraser end of a pencil). Make sure there is ZERO axial play. That is, end to end. It should be snug in there. Then check for the usual stuff: obvious foreign object damage, excessive rust (it will be a bit corroded, due to the heat, but that's okay; just make sure it isn't rusted through).

Also, try to get the wastegate can from them (the actuator that opens the wastegate flap). For some cars, these are only $12. For the Mitsu's, they are $70+. They probably all come from the same factory in BFE Missouri or somewhere, but some charge nothing, and others charge a lot. You could get one off a domestic, but then you'd have to worry about a mounting bracket.

the last thing, worry about which way the exhaust will discharge. Does it come with an elbow? Or will that have to be part of the downpipe? Try to get the elbow, if possible.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. And if I forgot (or was wrong about) something, please chime in.

later,
ac
Old 04-16-2002, 11:34 PM

Curtas hit it right on the head, i cant stress planning enough!

im not sure where you are at, etc... but if you system is anything like curtas's and my setup we can help you with piping, etc. he really knows his stuff and is ahead of the ballgame in the planning field.

as for a price... hard to say. i guess it comes down to what you are willing to pay for it. keep in mind that parts made for, or used mainly on Mitsu's will most likely cost you alot more than just a general all around part. I.E. the Turbo.
i paid $200 for my T3, and have seen them on Ebay for around the same price.

good luck and let us know what you go with!
Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 PM

So what "should" be there asking price? Or actually...what is it worth? I know a T25/T3 goes for around (USED) 250.00ish...So this turbo would be a good replacement for the T25/T3? And im going to be the ONLY person here with this turbo? (just making sure I can get a little help..in the future if need be)

I'll post some pic's later today. He's bringing it in @ lunch time.

Thanks Curtas (or anyone else who repies)

Lastly: Should I go with it or just find a T3?

This is my starting point. "should" I start with other items? So you both have the 16g? So any needed machine/milling work "could" be done by Curtas ? (aol im Fast064shark or fask2kshark)

[ April 17, 2002, 06:48 AM: Message edited by: Fast.Shark ]
Old 04-16-2002, 11:47 PM

hey mike whats up bud, hey if your goin turbo, ill buy your headers tongue.gif
Old 04-17-2002, 12:35 AM

id say offer him $150 for it, but i wouldnt go any higher than 175. (just me tho)
i think all in all i wouldnt even bother with the 16, id find a cheap T3 and go with that. oh, and yeah im pretty sure youd be the only one with a 16 on a tibby tongue.gif
Old 04-17-2002, 01:52 AM

Well if thats the case...then I'll find a T3. Now I see people with T3 and also T25...whats the difference? Will one of them handle more psi? And on the T3 (via ebay ) Do I need any certain T3? Or will any T3 work?

Thank You!
Old 04-17-2002, 02:01 AM

the t3 will handle more psi,.... but will take longer to spool up

Of course you can make modifications to make it spool up faster
Old 04-17-2002, 03:14 AM

don't forget the T28. A fine turbo, smaller than the T3, but bigger than the T25 (what I have). Plus, I believe the Champion Auto (in Korea) manifold fits the T28. Maybe Cheuk will chime in here.

Ideally you want to compare compressor maps and turbing A/R values. However, that implies that you have complete control over which turbo you're getting (new, from the shop, with the wheels you want). That costs a lot more. Or if you're like me, you saw a T25 for under $100 on ebay and jumped on it. You will be able to make it work with the T25, T28, T3, 14b, or 16G turbos. There will always be complications and tradeoffs.

I decided to start with a T25 because it is cheap, and spools fast. I'm hoping to make my setup such that if/when I decide to upgrade, I can bolt up a T3 with no major modifications to the piping.

You won't be able to do it cheap, fast, and reliable. You can do it cheap and reliable, but it will take patience. You can do it fast and reliable, but it will cost you. Or you can do it fast and cheap, but you may grenade the motor.

ac
Old 04-17-2002, 03:50 AM

I have photo's of it now...Look to be in GREAT condition...plus other item as attached to it...I need some one who I can email them to and then post them into this thread. As I want a TSR answer if I should go with it...basically now. And im 56k @ work...dsl @ home though...so if any one can hook me up....aol im me at fast064shark or post here and i'll email the 4 jpg's to ya.

Thank You

Still no price yet...and I didnt offer yet either..so some one chk out the photo's and then give me a price to offer...as I think there is more to it than just the GARRETT "blower" but I dont really have an idea.

************I checked the internal "spinny thing" and it rotates freely both directions. There is alittle play in it...meaning I can "wobble" it slighty. Is this ok? As im sure it just from normal use...but not really sure though. I'm trying to emial loffty the pic's and have him post them...if it doesn't happen by the tiome I leave work, I'll up to my web page when I get home.

[ April 17, 2002, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Fast.Shark ]