Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

To Recirculate Or Not To Recirculate

Old 10-25-2005, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

ok well on the road to turbo I've found many bumps in the road. I occasionally realize something that that i hadn't thought about before and I feel extremely confused. This is such an occasion.

I was reading here - http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=11778

my plan was to do just that, blow off to atmosphere. and all the tib's i'd looked at so far were setup this way. but after reading that it made alot of sense, there is no way to meter that air.

example - gary's setup

now what's right? am i going to get a cel going with non-recirculating? I'm guessing that it should be fine since all it would do is go slightly rich for a moment while shifting.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 PM

You won't get a CEL, and there's probably an option on your fuel management unit to cheat the MAF a little when shifting.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 PM

i'm just planning on using a fmu for a bit here and running 5psi. then when that gets boring get an smt-6 and go for 12.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You will go extremely rich for a couple seconds until the fuel is burnt out. It will bog the motor, but you can just hit the throttle a little to make it go away. The SAFC has a deceleration function but I've tried everything and couldn't get it to work right.
The best thing to do is recirculate it or not have one at all, and keep the boost low. If you run high boost without a BOV, then you'll get compressor surge and kill the turbo and put air back through the MAF, making it go rich that way. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So, in conclusion, get a real ECU and not a cheap piggyback.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:18 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So bottom line ladies and gents either, recirculate with whatever boost, dont have a BOV with real low boost, or just go haltech and dont recirculate

im going through door number one :-D
Old 10-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Have you checked into the PRS? It's $675 and we are now in the process of putting together the DIY's and base maps.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:40 PM

The dec-air function of the SAFC2 worked pretty well on my side, never had a problem with it.

Currently using the SMT6 with no correction to the MAF whatsoever, and I don't have any bogging or anything when I shift. I'm not rich "for a couple of seconds"; more like 1/8 of a second.

Theory is nice, but it's always better to base your decisions on actual facts.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM

thanks for the info guys. i think i'll just carry on with my original plans if recirculate if it's not working for me.