Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Question about blow off valves

Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2007 Tiburon
Default Question about blow off valves

Hi guys

Im piecing together my turbo kit now in hopes to have everything I need by June of this year. My goal is to be boosted by the end of that month. I asked a couple of people about what blow off valve they have on their cars and people are saying that blow off valves can cause premature spark plug and catalytic converter replacement. Can someone confirm this and if its the case what do I do to prevent it from happening? Or is there nothing that can be done?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Ive personally never heard of that and not sure how a BOV would even effect the two. The BOV is used to let excess boost have a place to vent to when the gas is let off/shifting and what not. If there wasn't a place for the boost to vent to, it would have to find a place to go and typically it tries to escape back through the turbo. This ultimately causes turbo shutter, which is a no no. So having a BOV is a good idea. Anyone else wanna chime in on this?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Vehicle: 99 accent

That's probably from people mounting them after the maf sensor, the car runs rich momentary when it vents (it's venting off metered air) it should be recirculated. I've said it before, they're a bullshit device that you don't need, I don't feel like arguing about it again here's some good reading. http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1457/article.html http://www.ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17113
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i don't think your going to have issues with spark plugs or your cat from the BOV. yeah your running rich for a fraction of a second between shifts but i doubt its enough to significantly reduce the life of your plugs or your cat. most turbo cars run rich in between shifts and ive never really heard of anyone needing to replace their cat/plugs much more than when their car was N/A.

get a BOV though for sure. there is no reason not to and it will be better on your turbo.. a BOV is 50$. i'd rather put less stress on a 800$ turbo than skimp out on 50$.