Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Pvc Setup Causing My Problems?

Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

What would the likelyhood of the PVC system being hooked up in it's OEM configuration be causing the blue smoke when I let off the gas while driving. There was some oil residue on the turbo intake and in the hotside of the charge piping. When I ran the car without the PVC system hooked up it wouldnot do this.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

QUOTE (yamaha @ May 6 2007, 10:17 PM)
What would the likelyhood of the PVC system being hooked up in it's OEM configuration be causing the blue smoke when I let off the gas while driving. There was some oil residue on the turbo intake and in the hotside of the charge piping. When I ran the car without the PVC system hooked up it wouldnot do this.

Yea. I used to have this exact sam eproblem until today. I bought and air breather and capped of the stem in the intake elbow and no more oil problem!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

This is exactly what I did minus the air filter. Works like a charm!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

How do you have it set up?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

tanc, plug the stem that comes out of the rubber intake elbow (or fab your own elbow without a stem).

and buy one of those little air filters for the pvc. I dunno what yamaha did without a filter. Maybe left it in the open?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

^^^ Yea that is exactly how I have mine set up.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:39 PM

Why would your PVC valve be causing that? The valve closes when you hit 0 on the boost gauge as well as in pressure, in idle the vac. from the intake manifold opens it. I dont see how you could be having a problem unless the valve is jammed open when in boost. But you will be facing problems (in long term use) if you dont allow the spring to open by just allowing it to vent in open atmosphere because when in idle, the intake manifold opens the pvc valve and sucks in the gases and acids and burns them through the combustion process. If you keep that locked in the head of your motor, you will cause the acids to stay in the oil causing the lifetime of your oil to be reduced as well as facing minor oil break down causing it to not be as effective.

Now your breather line on your head should either be routed into the intake system of the turbo or put through a catch can then through a filter. Do not use a catch can then route it to your intake of your turbo because your turbo will just suck the oil out when in boost anyways.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:49 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

What is this PVC valve everyone is talking about? Aren't we talking about a PCV? Positive Crank Ventilation?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Its the valve that connects from the head (plastic top of the motor) to the cast air intake manifold. A lot of ppl are sealing this by putting a breather filter on it, but what people dont realise is you need that vac. to remove the acids inside the head or else you will have the acids poison the oil.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:32 PM

okay.
first of all, it is a PCV not PVC.
Second, if you want to aviod any oil leak due to the improper routing of PCV system, do this:

PCV port --> Oil catch can-->Intake manifold
Breather port--> 1 foot silicon or rubber hose --> breather filter-->atmosphere

If you connect the breather port to the intake pipe or manifold, you will pressurize your head and turbo way too much when you boost because there's no PCV in the breather port.