Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Properly sized turbo

Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Properly sized turbo

Me and my friend have been discussing turbo sizing for my tiburon.

I currently have a to4e ebay turbo.

We have talked to a few different people and garret sugested a gt25r i believe.

We have talked about a few different turbos aswell, but a 16g would be a better sized turbo we think.

I told him there were a few people on here who have done evo turbo kit swaps, however i dont want to have to replace the manifold and i would like to stay externally gated.

He said i could just not hook up vacuum to the internal wastegate, and stay external, BUT once again i dont think i would be able to get this turbo fit with my manifold.

So lets talk turbo sizing. i plan to run around 14psi, i dont know what cfm's im going to be pushing so if tanc chimes in i have no idea.

what i want is to reach full boost faster, it dosnt seem to hit 5psi untill a ways into the rpm.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:21 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

well, not connecting the wastegate is gonna allow the flapper to leak i welded the flapper shut on my holset to run a external gate

PSI is a dumb way to say how fast you wanna go, how much HORSEPOWER do you want

lag is traction
Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM

i wanna see close to 300, yes i understand my internals more or less wont hold up but if that happens ill deal with it then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...id=200533537851

is that the evo manifold i would need. and yes i know the bottom right hole need modification.

i plan on going with a quaife or kaaz lsd, with drag radials. ( ofcourse this wont stop slippage but should help the traction)
and eventually would like to run ecoboost boost controller i think its called. to control how much psi i have at certain times.
( i read about it through regit)

I want to be fast off the line, and decent in the mid range power. i want to be able to drive the car down to the track, put around town, and have good 1/4 times

i figure i will prolly spend close to 2g on lsd, drag radials, and that boost controller.

And if/when i blow this motor i want to go with over sized valves on my spare head. With low compression forged pistons. And maybe looking into treating stock rods. ( i fear the headache of puetar rod clearance)

i dont need this car to commute so breaking it is not an issue.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

You've opened up a can of worms for yourself here m8. To increase power while pulling the boost threshold forward(earlier in the revs) you are going to need to look at more than just the turbocharger itself. We need to address the turbo system as a whole, and balance the system characteristics with what the engine wants in order to do the job you want it to do.

As a rule of thumb, for what you want to do pick the smallest turbocharger that will do the job.

How comfortable are you with running at the knock limit, do you have the means to run the engine at knock limit(ie. how is your engine management package looking, and how good is your tuner?) and what else has been done to the engine? The best sized turbocharger in the world for your application is not going to help if your engine isn't breathing.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Garrett T3/T4 50 trim 48Ar!!!!

Thing is a monster, i actually just purchased one to replace the huge turbo on my Tib, as now my Tib is also going form my Track car to my DAILY DRIVER. I wanted a Turbo that spools early and didnt die off.

This turbo makes boost at 2800rpms, never dropping off, capable of 400whp around 24psi.

Many SRT4 guys run this cause it boost early and pulls very hard, making tons of torque!

I am Going to be running this instead of my Gt35, goes on as soon as i get home!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

I run a gt2871r BB on my tib and its at full boost by 3200 = 20psi. It starts to make boost instantly though which actually gives me a little lowend torque for the hole shot. My best guess is 300ish to the wheels on mine . hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM

p.s. get away from the ebay turbos or even anything like a 16g on ebay or for around 500 bucks they arent gonna get you what you want go with a garret ball bearing of some kind . They are a little more but well worth it. I promise.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I have a td05h turbine or can be used with my t3 turbine 20g turbo. Will support 450whp and out flows the 16g. I was running this when I made 415~whp. Pm me if your interested.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:35 PM

thanks for all the great replies i am going to look into a gt2871r

do they offer this as an external wastegate? if so is it a different model number?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:51 PM

go to atpturbo.com for a good variety and selection on turbos. I picked mine up for 1200.00 for the gt2871r. Others are upto 1800.00 for the same turbo. check it out a t3/t4 would be good too dont get me wrong as long as its ball bearing your golden. good luck