Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Possible turbo setup for me?

Old 02-06-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Elantra
Default Possible turbo setup for me?

Hey guys, I'm going to get a turbo setup from Korea. It will cost me around $11,000 including shipping and tax. This includes:

New Beta 1 engine
Garrett T04S ball bearing turbo
Wiseco 8.5:1 forged pistons
6 hole 52 lb/hr injectors
Crower 65 kg.m rated forged connecting rods
Spearo intercooler
all aluminum intake (must be piping?)
Delta external wastegate
Ford 3 Bar MAP sensor
ACT clutch rated at 300 hp (do they make one for us?)
Turbo XS manual boost controller
264 deg hi camshaft intake only
Reprogrammed ECU

My contact here told me that at 0.8 bar boost it produces over 300 hp and at 1.4 bar, 370 hp. According to him, the only weak link in this setup is the clutch. Over 300 and the clutch wouldn't last long. Also, he said that the tranny and the axles could break at more than 300.

So, what you guys think? Is it worth my cash?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:04 PM

Buy the remapped ecu from them.

Buy the other parts in the US.

Only spend $4k smile.gif

Or buy all the parts and get a haltech. and its still only about $5k

and that $5k is good for 500hp.

So whats better badly tuned $11k turbo setup

or $5k 500bhp, that can be retuned and made changes.

look at all the parts included. They are all mostly shipped from the US to korea...and now being shipped back to you...why not cut out the middle man?
Old 02-06-2003, 06:05 PM

I just noticed you are in the phillipines.

ummm...I woudl just get someone to buy all the parts for you
and ship them in the big crate from here to you.

I will still be cheaper then $11k. that highway robbery IMHO
Old 02-06-2003, 06:08 PM

I forgot to mention that the parts are already installed. I would only need to slap in the engine and drive.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:22 PM

Check this link:

http://www.kuksauto.co.kr/shop/shopdetail....rch=&sort=order

Use a translator such as the one in Altavista to view the page. This is the turbo kit from Kuk's Auto. I think it's very comprehensive, yet VERY costly. My contact gave me a quote not much more expensive than the price listed but comes with a brand new engine and the parts are already installed. What do you guys think?
Old 02-08-2003, 07:06 PM

Jesus!!!

I think Champion charge $10000 for all those things plus installation and tuning with a Haltech. Even at that we are making serious change.

Just buy everything yourself, you've already seen the parts list. It will be cheaper and you will learn something just stand over your engine builder / tuner's shoulder.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:03 PM

Cheuk, thanks for your suggestions. But where else can I have a turbo kit with an engine good for 300 hp for cheaper than 12,000,000 won including shipping and taxes to my country? I like this deal because I would only need to install the engine with turbo in my car. Piece by piece may be cheaper but the shipping and taxes add up. Plus, where can I find a brand new 2.0 Beta here? And who specializes in modifying Hyundai Elantras here?

Hey Cheuk, can you recommend a turbo setup good for 300 hp with brand new engine for less than $10,000?
Old 02-09-2003, 08:46 AM

First of all you don't need a brand new engine. Just find a used one.. you will be replacing all the critical components anyways during the build up.

I think CNK's kit will take care of almost everything except engine management. CNK may work with you to get the kit labeled as something different... like "industrial parts"... anything to get it to fit in a lower import tax bracket. Or possiblly it could be shipped in pieces.... I know that some countries don't even inspect items below a certain value... like $200. I'm sure you can find a good aftermarket ECU tuner in the Phillipines.

I'm not sure if the Korean engine will just "snap" right in... the engine harnesses maybe different. There was a time when the US and Korean market engines used COMPLETELY different engine management systems / wiring / harness. I don't know which type you have.

I have my doubts about two things on that list. One the "ACT" clutch.... I don't think it is the US ACT clutch company. For serious power, there is nothing made in korea that can handle 300+ hp. Everyone uses HKS, OS Geiken, Ogura clutches... all twin plate. The ECU tuning is also suspect. They don't specifically tune ECU's for each engine or car. It's a guestimate ECU... very rich and timing retarded.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:44 PM

Cheuk,

You're right, I'll just get a used engine. I'll get the CNK kit as I have planned before and the internals. I'll buy the parts that I need for my turbo setup one by one.

My car is a CBU unit from Korea. I think the Korean 2.0 Beta would fit, unless there are other issues for a 2.0 to fit in a 96-98 Elantra/Avante.

There is no one in the Philippines that could tune a stock Siemens ECU that my car has. There may be one shop that can do this, but the guy who tunes their ECU's for their race Elantras is from Korea (race-real, :wink
Old 02-11-2003, 08:36 PM

What does anyone else think about the turbo setup?