Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Perfect Power Smt-6 Wiring Diagrams Guide

Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

So, supadupa called me last night about his car not starting with the smt-6 connected and i would like to share the important details/tips about the initial setup of the smt-6 to make it start our cars.

Once all the wires are hooked up, double check your work. Test the TPS movement by powering up the device [switched +12v, turning your key to the ign1 position (the key position before cranking your car where the cluster/instrument guages lights up)], connecting it to the laptop and loading up the software then pressing and depressing the accelerator pedal. You should see the cursor on the smt-6 software move up and down in the tps area (bottom maps).

Note: The SMT-6 WILL NOT start the car until you load up the wiring diagrams (global settings) to it, basically telling it what car is it connected to.

So, how do we do this, jay-m?

This happened to me before as well... learned from my mistakes and sharing it to you fellas.

There are two thing we could do this but this is the easiest one...

Basically, connect the laptop then put your car to the ign1 position; this will power up the piggyback then load the program/software. While the unit is powered up... you need the software to communicate with the piggyback by clicking "go online" or just "online" (under the STATUS menu).

Once linked together, the wiring diagram map had to be loaded onto the piggyback. This should be in the drop down FILE menu of the software, now just select the type/model of car (the hyundai473 or the hyundai716 should both work). Once loaded, go to the TOOLS and hit download to SMT-6, this will make sure that the wiring diagram map(global settings) are "burned in" into the piggyback.

Now, the car should start

Oh, btw... if you get a "runtime error" message while trying to load the wiring diagram map, you must uninstall(go into the add/remove programs in the control panel) and reinstall the software again.

Hopefully that should help you fellas in the future
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 AM

QUOTE (Jay-M @ Apr 11 2006, 05:36 AM)
There are two thing we could do this but this is the easiest one...

Allright, some other guys still can't load the wiring map and gets a runtime error even when the smt-6 software was fully uninstalled and reinstalled back again

So, this is the second way:

With the smt-6 hooked up to the laptop and the software open, put the car on IGN 1 (key position before cranking). Then have the software communicate to the piggyback, once established set the global setting and save.

Global Settings

Cylinders:

Ignition:
Teeth per turn(incl miss) 60
Teeth per firing 30

Modes:

System Config:
Positive input pol ON
Positive output pol ON
Low level input ON
Everything else to OFF
Old 04-18-2006, 10:19 PM

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

some laptops are very sensitive to electric ionterference created by a normal car..
older laptops tends to be a bit more "stable"
also, usb to serial converters don't work very well most of the time
best thing is to have a laptop with a "real" serial port
Old 04-19-2006, 09:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i forgot to chime in here, even if its just to say awesome DIY man. maybe ill have a DIY of the year award come christmas time. wink1.gif
Old 04-24-2006, 01:26 AM

^^^

thanks tibby01, just doing my best to help out....

added note:

for the wiring diagrams above, the ecu harness color codes is only for an RD2 (00 - 01 tiburons). If you have another car with a beta1 engine, disregard the color codes but follow the ecu pin numbers. The ecu harness color codes will not match, but the pin numbers are the same.

sorry, i didn't realize this until i've got a phone call from a couple of members who installed an smt-6 into their cars.

here's an example...

on my wiring diagrams (RD2), the power wire is pin # 58 and it's brown.
on a RD1 (97 - 99 tiburons), it is also same pin # (58) but it's black with a white stripe.

hopefully that clears out the ecu harness color code issue...
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

never trust hyundai wire color..
i've seen cars from the same year with different wire color...
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 PM

updates...

for some reason(s) on my car, the pin# 47 on the ecu harness (engine speed output) is not giving me the rpm reading on the smt-6. i have done this two times and triple checked my work and still nothing.

if this happens to you... you can take/tap the rpm reading from ecu pin# 16 (crankshaft position sensor a), but if you will be hooking up the smt-6 to modify your timing, this will be already done for you... just follow the corresponding wiring diagram here and it's good to go
Old 08-09-2006, 02:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I just copied everything jay has said into a word doc file that's ready to print to make it a little easier in the future.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:13 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Just got my smt6 today and....wow...thats all i have to say. Anyway is the third wiring diagram the only wires that would be necessary for tuning for a turbo with a completely modified fuel system (still only using 4 injectors)? I'm just trying to install this beast, I'm gonna have to pay to get the actual tuning.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:08 AM

The first wiring diagram is the very very basic setup... that is just what you need when you add or take away fuel.

Then it gets more busy from there