Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Overheating with Watercooled turbo

Old 02-12-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Overheating with Watercooled turbo

What cooling system do you guys have on your betas that are running watercooled turbos? Mine had issues keeping cool with the old turbo when I ran the a/c but if I shut it off it was just fine. Now with the new center section it has a hard time keeping cool. It's ok going 35+ down the road but at my last autox it got HOT! Made it through the first 4 runs just fine. The second set it was warm after 2 runs and I had to let it cool between 3 and 4. After 4 I left it sitting running with the heater going. One of the guys yelled at me to let me know it was boiling over....Jumped in and after a mile run up the road it was fine again.

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...41#entry612141

Do you think my radiator is gunked up or can the stock radiator just not keep up and I should be looking at a koyo? Need to get something figured out soon. First autox is in March. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

If your going to be tracking it, don't waste your time with stock rads/fans. Koyo with some nice strong 2000CFM~ fans and you'll be laughing. Even if you want to go one step further get some of that crazy coolant all the honda boys swear up and down by and get a new thermostat to use on autox days.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

From My experience, the Hyundai thermostats are garbage, ..I am on my third one in 2 years..Mine will usually quit and not open up after racing at the track all day, or if I go like on a 4 0r 5 h0ur trip and drive hard, she will stick closed?..I f I'm far from home,I just remove the thermostat till I get home or replace it with another one and all is fine.. Btw ,I have a water/oil cooled turbo and an overkill yonaka rad with stock fans.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 99 accent

I only get overheating with the a/c on, with or without the water jacket lines hooked up, I have the stock radiator and one fan taken out. Header wrapping the downpipe/turbo/manifold might help too.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You just answered your own question
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I went through an autocross repeatedly about 4 times in 110 weather. No breaks inbetween, and did just fine. The only mod was the FAL 210 fans. Stock radiator.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks for all the info guys, sorry it took so long to get back on here. I meant to set it to notify if there were replies.

Jon is your turbo watercooled? Mine was just fine before I swapped to the water cooled. Just got warm when I ran the ac but back then I only had one fan....

Looks like a koyo is probably in order then. btw, I have two of the summing racing 10" fans setup to push in front of the radiator. Though I have them hooked up right now like stock. I'm going to rewire it so both come on based upon temperature rather than a/c.

fans: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G4901/
Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Definitely having both fans come on help a lot. Problem is the turbine housing gets damn hot and heats up the rad just from the ambient heat. A turbo blanket well help keep the ambient heat in check but having both fans turn on helps a ton as well.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Start with a new T-stat, new coolant (70/30 water/coolant), and a new radiator cap. If those 3 things don't help, then look into a bigger rad or better fan set-up. Always start with the simplest stuff.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM

Think I'm going to go with the turbo blanket and the koyo. thanks for the suggestion i8acobra. I really prefer to go overboard than not enough. I've already had my last motor go largely do to overheating terribly when we visited Houston back when I only had the one stock fan on. Don't wanna go through that again.....