Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Other cars turbo manifold on a Tiburon

Old 05-15-2012, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Hyundai Tiburon

Evo 7-9 manifolds will work. I originally started my build with a cast manifold from an Evo 7 but then my friend with the same Evo 7 that had a tubular manifold on his had to replace it to accommodate the Turbonetics turbo he upgraded to cause for some reason that tubular couldn't work though it was supposed to - lucky me cause then that opened up the door for me to get it and for cheap. So far I have no issues with cracking whatsoever so I think your issue with that is "cheap" poor quality tubulars - when I say cheap I don't necessarily mean cost only obviously.

From my experience for the DSMs or any Evo below the 7 I think is that they either have the turbo turned the wrong way around (intake facing alternator) or mount up too close to the alternator creating more issues for making them work such as relocating the alternator or having to do some bending/routing of the downpipe. As for the Evo 7-9 like others have said you will need to open up some mounting holes and have some material welded to the flange to create the hole for the one that's out in the middle of nowhere compared to the others. The runners will also need a little porting to line up properly. What I did instead was have a machine shop fill the existing holes and add the material for placing the odd hole needed, then deck the flange a little just in case it might have warped any from the heat of welding, and then have my new holes drilled as I needed them. Once I had that done I carefully dremelled out the runners. I used the stock Evo 7 turbo along with the aftermarket downpipe he had but had to do some cutting, repositioning and rewelding of the downpipe to make it work - wasn't a big deal though. The good part about going with this setup for me is that if I ever want to go beyond what the stock Evo turbo can give me I can go for the 20G which is a direct bolt in or my friend named some upgrades as well that are direct bolt in too but I can't remember now - IIRC I think he said Precision makes a direct upgrade turbo for the manifold - DP not so sure of but don't quote me on this, it'll be a while before I ever get to that stage since I'll have to beef up or swap my auto transmission which either option will be costly and almost not worth it to me so I didn't explore it in much detail.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Great info KMan. Well this does open up quite a lot of possibilities since there are some great design manifolds for the EVo 7-9 and some of those can also move my turbo a bit to the drivers side thus enabling me to find some more extra space since the TC itself is quite a big hog :-D
Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: hyundai/elantra

I have a t8d engine im pretty sure that it is the same manifold i have been doing alot of research im trying to turbo my 2001 sephia with a t3/4 bottom mount setup any thoughts
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

I don't believe Kia started using Hyundai engines until 2004-2005 so Manifolds that fit the Hyundai Engines probably won't fit your Sephia.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:59 AM

Vehicle: hyundai/elantra

The spectra engine is the same in the sephia t8d engine