Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Oil Leak.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:07 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I was out trying to tune my car and when I got to my buddies house I noticed that there was a lot of oil leaking onto the ground. I couldn't see where it was coming from but there was a lot of oil on the downpipe right beneath the tranny and oil pan

So, I had my friend follow my car home and he said that when I would pull out from stop signs there was small puffs of blueish smoke (from my experience this means there is oil in the exhaust.) I have no way of checking under my car right now because I can't get into my garage due to construction and its getting dark out right now, so I can't jack it up outisde.

I am going to try and find time to get under there tomorrow. Right now all I can think about is if it is a blown turbo. I don't think it is because it still boosts, but I am looking for suggestions to hopefully put my mind at ease until I can get under there. Even though it does boost, it doesn't seem to be the same as it was. I mean it does reach the same peak boost, but when I'm driving and when I rev the engine the bov doesn't even crack open (it did yesterday though). Also, when I am in nuetral and rev the egine it doesn't seem to boost much at all.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM

yeah man when i was reading your post on half of it i was thinking it's blown turbo seal and after you said blown turbo (that means you have turbo in there) that's 99,9% it's blown turbo seal 02.gif so go shop for another one
----------
P.S when seal is broken it's still gonna work but it's gonna be not that power when it's normal
i've had exp with blown turbos 02.gif there was one mitsu everything was fine but oil from exhaust was running and i mean it RUNNING the whole lot of dark blue smoke and turbo still was working and BOV spools but 02.gif
after we changed turbo smile.gif everything was ok (he never comeback to our shop) so ,,,, turbo
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Fill it up with oil and look under the car to see where the source is. Check to make sure you fried a turbo before you go replacing something.

No need to fix something that isn't broken necessarily.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM

I sure as hell hope its not the turbo. I just put the damn thing in a week ago.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:42 PM

what kind of turbo you have?

what size of feed line, return line you are running?

P.S.: Alex01tib!!! Check your PMs!! cool.gif
Old 01-06-2007, 08:43 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

checked and replied wink1.gif

back on topic,

Whered you get the turbo from?

The leak could be / most likely is your return line

And sometimes you get small puffs of smoke when your breaking a turbo in, when your turbo is really blown youll get a mess of blue smoke on idle, not just a small puff of smoke
Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM

Nate and alex...I'm not sure on the exact size of feed and return line. It's whatever size came with viper966's kit. The turbo is a garret.

I'm gonna crawl under the car tomorrow (i hate working on stones, haha) and I'll post up what I saw. I might take pics if I can. Thanks
Old 01-06-2007, 08:56 PM

where did you get the turbo from (from whom) and was it used or new?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:14 PM

I got the turbo from viper966. I thought it was bran new when I bought it, but when I actually recieved, I noticed some markings on it which indicated that it may have been rebuilt. It appeared to be in good shape. I checked for some things like play from the turbine in the housing, etc. Seemed really good.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:19 PM

doubt its blown, where are you tapping the oil from