Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Oil Feed lines to turbo

Old 01-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Feed lines to turbo

Hi there guys,

Sorry for whats going to seem a really stupid question, but i started stripping down the manifold and turbo today, and on the bottom there is the 3 oil feed lines - which i need to remove.

they appear to be held on with jubillee clips (which doesnt seem right to me), but after taking them off the lines just will not disconnect from the turbo.

Is it normal practice that this is purely the only thing holding the lines on or is there something else i need to do? the line wont twist, pull or anything - seems stuck fast.

Am i just being a wimp?

Cheers
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Sometimes hoses will conform internally to the shape of a hose barb, especially if the barbs are sharp and the clamp was tight. Twist and pull. Carefully.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Great, thank you stocker. Just seemed so tight it wasn't natural to pull off alone. Will do it in the morning.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Depening on where it is get an exacto and cut a straight line just about a quater inch long from the end up vertically with the line, will sometimes give you the little slack you need... if the twist pull doesnt do...
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

You might try a drop of alcohol or spit right on the end of the hose, and that might help it get loose. If spit and hand-strength on the line won't get it loose, try a drop or three of alcohol, being careful to get it into the joint between the hose and the fitting. That will lube rubber and dissolve oils. Sometimes you'll have to work the hose loose from one end of the hose barb. If your hands just can't twist it at all, try gentle, then not-so gentle grab/twist with a pliers or a channel-lock. Failing all that, cutting a short slit at the end of the hose may be your 2nd-to-last option. Last being extending the slit or outright cutting it off.

It is worth asking the obvious - these are rubber or plastic hoses (or rubber or plastic-lined) on hose barbs, right? Not something crazy like swaged-on high pressure hydraulics, stainless or whatever?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 AM

Im thinking i might just have to cut it Its steel braided, but beneath that outer layer theres just rubber hosing - and damn its stuck fast. Im trying to remove all 3 (2 water and one oil) as the top oil inlet is nice and simple - but I've pulled, yanked, tried to twist but it just wont budge and there isnt any room under there to do much else. Just hoping theres enough slack left on the end that if i remove 1/4" it'll still mate up nicely after without being to taught....

Damn though, its well stuck in there.. (and ive been pulling for a while!)

Looks like the sleeve it goes onto is over an inch long, and ive been trying to twist to hear that nice *crack* as it frees, but ends up just me spinning my hands on greasy pipes
Old 01-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Not hands, pliers!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If you have room you can work something small in the end of the hose between the hose and pipe. I use small precision flathead screwdrivers or dental tools. If you're careful you can stretch the hose a bit and break the bond without scratching anything or doing any other damage.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Thanks for the help guys.

In the end i took a "Man the F up" pill, got under there and got the water inlet, and both oil lines off. That gave me enough room to lift the manifold off and turbo and sit on the bonnet edge, then had to make a 1/8" slit in the pipe (it really really was stuck on there megga style) and off it came!
Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Force: when it isn't working, you're not using enough.