Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

NEW DYNO RESULTS - UPDATE as of today 01/23/03

Old 02-09-2003, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RED ... What is your secret ? ???

and BatLord, way to go with your car ! last time we saw each other you still had the autotragic in there !!

Lets hang out soon in miami on a thursday night !

SEE YA smile.gif
Old 02-09-2003, 06:31 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

His secret on the MAF problem? He's running a Haltech ECU setup in his car.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:24 AM
Red

I don't use a MAF, but batlord continues to. The solution to the problem that you offered is going to cost a LOT of money; I would expect on the order of $500-$750 for a mass-produced part. And to do what? Continue using the stock ECU at 2/3rds the cost of a fully standalone computer?

Bah on that smile.gif
Old 02-11-2003, 07:41 AM

Sharkey -- Let me clarify

The route I am using is as follows:-

Remove the Stock Injector harness from the injectors, and install the CNK ECU harness onto the injectors for fueling only. (any size injetcors!) WITH the harness comes with CNK ECU with a built in 2.5bar MAP sensor(absolute) which is used to monitor manifold pressure (which is much better than any MAF system will ever be) more to the point....

The CNK ECU will ONLY control fueling for now, and it DOES NOT remove the stock ECU from operation, it removes ONLY the injector harness from the injectors and replaces it with the CNK wiring.

The CNK ECU will read in a TACH signal or 60-2 teeth crank pickup for batch mode fueling (fires cylinders 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 simultanueously, alternatively at 180 degrees apart from eachother) The ignition and fans, AC, Airbag, etc etc are all still controlled by the stock ECU ---

The only thing the CNK ECU requires from the Stock ECU is it's crank angle signal or Tach signal to know when to fire the injectors.

The ECU will NEVER cost near $500.00 even once the ignition curcuitry is added to the ECU as a full blown setup - this will allow for simple and affordable MAF to MAP conversion.

Pricing at the moment for this unit is $250.00 and depending on whether I am happy with the results of the tests I am busy with, I will release this into the market. I should be able to drop the pricing even more if I can start a group buy on the product -- but first things first.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:48 AM

Will the fueling ECU handle Low impedence or high impedence. I pray for low and hope for both ^^

Also. You mention it needs the crank tigger from the ecu. I am assuming this will not need to be tapped and it included in the harness you provide with this fueling ecu.

Also, I believe the stock ECU will throw a CEL if it sees no injectors plugged in. I also assuming you have a resistence incorperated into the harness so this wont be a problem?
Old 02-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Red

Odd methodology there Chris...

Since the stock ECU will still believe that it's in charge of fueling, you'll have to leave the stock MAF sensor in there (or at least feed it fake readings) or else you'll blow a nasty error code. That, and a missing MAF is going to put the car into OBD2 limp mode, so your ignition timing will go straight to hell as well. At least until you get your ignition "module" working.

Further, the stock ECU will be trying to adjust fuel ratio during closed-loop operation by way of the O2 sensors. If your piggyback is running lean or rich beyond what the stock ECU wants during closed loop driving (85% of your time) then you'll have it yet-again blow OBD2 error codes for O2S11 errors or long-term and short erm fuel maps being too high or too low. Yet another reason for it to knock you into limp mode.

And for $250, what kind of granularity are you providing for adjusting the injector pulsewidths? How many columns (pressure) versus how many rows (fuel) and how many total pages (RPM increments)?

The S-AFC provides 8 pressure bars, 100 points of adjustability per bar, and two total pages (low throttle vs high throttle, not even an RPM point) The Haltech provides 24 pressure bars, something stupid like 1024 points of adjustability per bar and up to 16 increment pages (0 - 8000 RPMs in 500RPM increments, or 0-16,000 RPMs in 1000RPM increments)

S-AFC is way to granular to adequately control A/F on big-*** injectors by itself. Haltech is a lot better and becomes a little grainy only after like 850+cc injectors. However the computing power and supporting electronics in there are pretty damned expensive, and the software isn't easy.

For $250, you're promising an awful lot...
Old 02-14-2003, 10:48 AM

Hmm... I'd definately like to hear back from Chris about Red's post...
Old 03-01-2003, 11:39 AM

heres a thought
what if we a put 2 mafs in
parralel meaning half the flow
thru each then used a safc to correct
fuel ratio or used a bigger mafs housing
reducing the flow reading of the maf
it should stay linear to higher flow point
by theory i do relize calbration would be off
but thats what safc does
Old 03-01-2003, 08:05 PM

XtremePc:
heres a thought
what if we a put 2 mafs in
parralel meaning half the flow
thru each then used a safc to correct
fuel ratio or used a bigger mafs housing
reducing the flow reading of the maf
it should stay linear to higher flow point
by theory i do relize calbration would be off
but thats what safc does
Damn dude, nice one.

I think Random and REd came up with that and yuri is doing that currently.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:58 AM

i have been pondering my previous post and one thing came to mind
lets say for simple calculations that mafs houseing is 2" inside diameter and we increase
the size to 3"
mafs reading should have decreased 33 percent
and if we take all same situations and still continue with 440 cc injectors all that you really changed is the settings of the SAFC
because now on the bottom end instead of a -50% percent reduction you will have a setting of -17% for an actual -50%
and on the top end if original setting was +17% you now have to set it at +50% to get actual +17%
so in the end you have the same thing you had before with the exact same result and still would trip a CEL for MAFS to high/low

Now here is were it might work if you used 550cc
injectors with the same concept the SAFC would give a total signal reduction of -83% to +17%
and depending on the max positive or negative side before a CEL is tripped

so does anyone know the actual voltage that 22lb
or 20lb is and the minimum we can go before the ecu goes into limp mode

[ March 03, 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: XtremePc ]