Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Need some suggestings with Beta swap into x3

Old 02-16-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some suggestings with Beta swap into x3

Alright, today I had this very strange idea come into my mind...

I was thinking about getting an accent, x3, with lots of miles and doesn't matter which tranny, and swapping a beta1 in it and turbo charge it.

I have a beta1 with low compression pistons coming in soon, can get a car for about $500 or so, have an ECU from beta, get a tranny for under $1000 and I have pretty much everything I need to make this thing going. Then turbo it, strip it, upgrade clutch (have it), maybe get a LSD and have a car with over 200whp that weighs about 2000lbs.... Sounds insane smile.gif

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? I just don't wanna work on my car that I daily drive to school and work because if something happens I won't have a car to go anywhere. I'll keep my tib, put some headers, exhaust, nitrous, etc in it and it will be fast enough for a daily driver smile.gif

Could some people who's done the swap give me some feedback? How hard was it to do the wiring? which ECU did you use? Did anything besides engine mounts had to be modified to fit the engine?

Thanks a lot

OP
Old 02-16-2005, 05:33 PM

hey, if you can wait till summer, I am willing to drive down a couple of weekends and give you hand with that, sounds like great fun.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:35 PM

I'm definitely not doing until the summer and I'd love to get some help from someone who knows about our engines smile.gif

thanks man smile.gif
Old 02-16-2005, 05:42 PM

I agree that it's a good idea to not mess with your daily driver to much to keep it reliable. From what I understand the swap is quite easy, I looked into it myself and have been thinking about it, but if your gonna go through the entire swap I would not waste my time putting in a stock beta computer, the best bet would be to go straight for the standalone ecu and the car would have no limits at all and there won't be any wiring problems to deal with since your running a entire new harness. I'm still thinking about and the idea keeps looking better and you can find an accent for dirt cheap.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:49 PM

I say go for it..that thing would haul ass!! I was thinking of doing the same thing myself and buying an Accent and getting ahold of another Beta motor since my car will be paid off very soon.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Beta1 ECU will let me have up to 250whp or so, it will be more than enough for such light car! So, no stand alones smile.gif

Does anyone know what that thing is called where you put two wheels from your car on, hook it up to the towing thing and tow your car?
Old 02-16-2005, 06:39 PM

Very nice idea!

I have a few friends that own a 2.0lT accent, I choosed N/A instead.

For the swap, it depends on which year you pick. All X3 are different reguarding engine mounts configuration. The suspension also changed in 98-99. You can use a beta ecu or an accent gt 1.5dohc ecu, which will avoid some problems if the X3 is not equiped with the evap canister system. The X3 tranny bolts on the beta. While you are at it, swap the tib front brakes, they are bolt-on. You need to replace wiring harness(only 2 wires differ form beta and gt ecu plug). While swapping, it's also a good idea to relocate the battery in the trunk or behind passenger seat, you will enjoy the room. While you tranny is sitting on the ground, it's a good time to install an lsd and a lighten or aluminum flywheel. Because of the weight difference between the tib and X3, at least a phantom grip is helpfull. The engine weight difference is only 60lbs. Shooting your engine mounts with urethane is also a good and easy thing while swapping.

On my 98, the only engine mount that had to be modify was the passenger side mount.

Have fun swapping!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:47 PM

I was waiting for you to reply man smile.gif
I will most likely use beta ECU, just because I have one laying around.
Is the whole harness gonna have to be changed?
I will get 95-97 accent.
You said that x3 tranny will bolt right up, but do you think it's worth having an old tranny? Does anyone make better clutch and flywheels for x3? I have a new clutch with light flywheel, so it might be worth putting a beta tranny in.

What did you have to do with the engine mounts? did you have to reweld them?

LSD would be nice, but probably gonna have to wait for a bit.

Do you have any pictures or anymore recommendations or things that I should know before I start the swap?

thanks

OP

QUOTE (LarryMcFly)
Very nice idea!

I have a few friends that own a 2.0lT accent, I choosed N/A instead.

For the swap, it depends on which year you pick. All X3 are different reguarding engine mounts configuration. The suspension also changed in 98-99. You can use a beta ecu or an accent gt 1.5dohc ecu, which will avoid some problems if the X3 is not equiped with the evap canister system. The X3 tranny bolts on the beta. While you are at it, swap the tib front brakes, they are bolt-on. You need to replace wiring harness(only 2 wires differ form beta and gt ecu plug). While swapping, it's also a good idea to relocate the battery in the trunk or behind passenger seat, you will enjoy the room. While you tranny is sitting on the ground, it's a good time to install an lsd and a lighten or aluminum flywheel. Because of the weight difference between the tib and X3, at least a phantom grip is helpfull. The engine weight difference is only 60lbs. Shooting your engine mounts with urethane is also a good and easy thing while swapping.

On my 98, the only engine mount that had to be modify was the passenger side mount.

Have fun swapping!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:35 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
Does anyone know what that thing is called where you put two wheels from your car on, hook it up to the towing thing and tow your car?

it's called a tow dolly
Old 02-16-2005, 09:34 PM

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
Is the whole harness gonna have to be changed?

Yes

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
You said that x3 tranny will bolt right up, but do you think it's worth having an old tranny?

The gear ratios of the 1.5 tranny are much closer thant the tibby tranny. if it's in good shape, I would use it or rebuit it. you won't be able to change further down the road without it being a pain. the drive shafts won't be the same lenght. Or, you can use the 1.5 gears in your tibby tranny.

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
Does anyone make better clutch and flywheels for x3?

Yes, even with the 1.5 tranny, you will still need to use a tiburon clutch/flywheel.

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
I have a new clutch with light flywheel, so it might be worth putting a beta tranny in.

Liek I said, you can use them with the 1.5 tranny.

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
What did you have to do with the engine mounts? did you have to reweld them?

Yes

QUOTE (OdessitPashka)
Do you have any pictures or anymore recommendations or things that I should know before I start the swap?

Not that i can think of right now.
More pics, talk to me on msn.