Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Narrowing Down Turbos.......

Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM
mYu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default Narrowing Down Turbos.......

Ok, I guess I will start a new thread about this.

Basically, I have two routes to follow. I can have either a strictly all track car, or strictly a street car. Now, with using standard turbos, no ball bearing or GT turbos, I can either stick with the T3/T04E for the street, or a straight T4/T04E.

My questions are:

1. What are the BEST trim sizes would I use on the T3/T04E to keep the top-end that it will loose, granted with loosing some low end.

2. What trim sizes would I use on the T4/T04E to get some low/mid end with keeping the high end.

Now, say these trim sizes get the turbos pretty close in functionality. Which turbo would basically be best for our engine setups? And which one would you recommend?

Thanks Turbo guros......
Old 11-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

on a tiburon, if you are going with a track car, or street car, i would never go full t4..

For a full T4 you would have to use the smallest turbine housing and turbine trim as possible to get any low end.

A bigger t3/t4 will give you a lot of top end.

If you are wanting a turbo with a semi-decent spool and a good top end; I would go with a T3 .63AR/T4 .60AR 60 trim or so.

I personally would recommend a T3 .48AR/T4 .60AR 50-60 trim turbo. smaller the trim on the compressor, quicker the spool, but less flow.

I had a T3 .48AR/T4 .60AR 50 trim on my Tiburon and I was only boosting around 10lbs and I thought it was GREAT. Granted I never intended for it to be a track queen, it sure held its own on the highway and was fun to drive.

another Big T3 would be a T3 .48/.70AR 60 trim 60-1. This turbo flows a crap ton, but you will spool sooner than a T4 or a bigger Turbine housing because of the .48 size.

Another point is, T series turbos are not the only thing out there. You can go with Holset or Mitsubishi also. Don't limit yourself to what is mainstream.

If you are building a track car and want a turbo that has great spool, durability AND a high top end; Turbonetics GTK series are some great snails!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Garrett 57 Trim on a .48 Ar is a really mean setup, it flows a pretty decent CFM, It will make full boost about 4000 Rpm range, will pull hard till redline and passed, I have a rev limit of 7250 Rpms. Also will be a very suprising Turbo for the interstate pulls where these are suppose to be doggie, this b*tch still rips.

Also you can make upwards of 450Whp.

I really think for just about any person that Street their Tib and wants to bring it to the track, this is probably the route they should go.

Yes, I am talkin with XP I have this same setup.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Dat engine bay.

+1 for using mitsubishi turbos, they are very cheap and 4G63s guys can give you a rough idea of what to expect with spool times and power.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

theres enough turbo betas out there running a bunch a diff turbos to give you an idea on power and spool..

also, another turbo setup to consider is the EVO 8/9 with a modified EVO manifold.. great quality turbo, great spool time and you can swap any Mitsu upgrade to the manifold.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

+1, ^^^ I would actually like to see a Evo 8/9 Twin scroll setup inplicated to a Tib! (