Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My Turbo Install..56k No!

Old 12-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well first off I wanted to make this thread to #1: show how bad Tim's kits were made, and #2: how complicated this all was, and #3: to give a reference to others.

I didnt install this turbo, I had my friend do it, and I would come by from time to time to see the progress and help a bit. But ok let's start from the beginning.

I bought the kit off of someone. It was Tim's custom kit, which consisted of all the parts needed. The turbo was a T3/T4 and there was an equal length manifold. Heres a picture of the turbo:

There was a lot of rust on the piping when I got the kit, so I began taking the rust off with a brillo pad and the liquid I bought. I bought this liquid at Autozone and it really worked wonders. This is it:

I also bought high heat paint to paint the pipes over and this was the result:

Now came for the real challenge..the install. My friend said he could get it done within a week, but this took way longer cause of the fitment issues. Heres my car ready to go:

So, he stripped the car of all it's stock parts, which was fairly easy. I took a picture of the engine without the exhaust manifold in:

Then he started to put the new exhaust manifold in. The problem was..the bolts didnt match, but that was pretty minor. Then came the intake manifold..well there was a big problem with this. My friend put the new injectors in, but it was very very hard. And once they were in, they were angled and that was a problem because then fuel might leak out. Heres a side view of my friend holding it:

My friend highly suggested I not use this manifold because of this and so I took the advice and we put my stock manifold back in.

Then came the turbo, and then the piping. Now let me tell you guys, theres a BIG difference in the engine bay of a automatic transmission, compared to a manual. My friend had to figure out how to get one of the charge pipes to fit. On one side, he took off the windshield wiper bottle, and through that hole stuck one pipe in. On the other side, the pipe was way to long and he had to cut it at least 3 inches. Here is a picture of one of the charge pipes coming out, with the bumper off obviously. (Btw the taking the bumper off is real easy):

Here's a big thing..my two fans couldnt fit. Even slim lines wouldnt, so my friend only got one fan in and that seems to be working out. But because of only have the one fan and of how my piping is fit, the one charge pipe gets really hot, but this can be solved with some heat wrap.

Then came the intercooler. Now I asked several people about this including Tim, and a lot of people just told me to fit the intercooler up against the bumper. No, folks. Not that easy. My friend had to make brackets in order for the intercooler to bolt up. This is how it looked:

When my friend bolted the whole intercooler in, it was slightly lower then it should have been, but it worked.

Now the downpipe. It wasnt just bolt on either..my friend had to go to a shop to get it lowered by two inches and then finally it fit fine. Oh, also the air filter wasnt fitting but somehow my friend managed to angle it so it'd fit.

Tapping the oil pan wasnt easy either. But my friend found a perfect spot, and tapped it. Unfortunately, I didnt take a picture of that and I wish I had because honestly it would help a lot of people who are installing their turbo. Also with tapping into the engine, I didnt take a picture of that really either, my friend also found another spot to tap into to get more oil into the turbo. This is the best picture I found:

We started the car up, and everything was okay. My friend tried to install SMT6 but it wasnt working. We ended up going to the distributer and showing him the SMT6. When he saw it, he just gave a funny look and knew something wasnt right with it. A couple weeks later he let us know that it was rigged or something and I needed a new one and he'd give it to me. We also found out that before you put in SMT6 you should get it reflashed for your specific car and also that SMT6 does a lot of wonders. Then my friend and I did the misc. stuff, such as get a custom exhaust done, etc. He installed my turbo timer, but with my gauge he installed it with the help of my boyfriend.

This was the end result:

My car isnt fully finished, unfortunately. I have to recirculate my blow off valve..(which btw I had to get a new one cause the one I got was busted.), and get the car tuned with the SMT6..thats really essential and I will do that after the holidays.

This took about a month. Stressful and just annoying. My friend and I were both cursing Tim most of the time..because some of the parts were just stupidly made. Honestly, we thought he designed all these parts blindfolded. This was custom all right..basically universal. Not bolt on at all. What I recommend? Wait for a kit that is custom made but that is bolt on if you want to save yourself frustration, but Im sure everyone already knows that. wink1.gif

I did the best I could with this little write up, I know some things I might have said here arent all technical but I tried. fing02.gif

I also attached a video, this is the one time I pushed my car and it hit about 6 psi, I know laughable but it made me happy. cool.gif Dont mind where the gauge is located..I dont exactly have a pillar yet so it was propped between my passenger seat.

[attachment=136:attachment]
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Sorry you had to experience the crappy that is Tim's turbo kit liek so many others.

But where is the video?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

cool typical tim setup (ie lots of fitment issues)

but did you really have to post it 3 times?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

deleted the other 2 topics and moved patreezy's post here. 1 topic is enough. wink1.gif
Old 12-10-2005, 05:11 PM

^Thanks so much. My computer was messing up and it just triple posted. Ill attach the video now.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

wow that was short and REALLY blurry, but still....very sexy.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Hey give me a break, I was driving! tongue.gif
Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

im with you with this one, swift... i had his kit as well, had to do more stuff to make it work
Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Who did you buy that kit from again?

Isn't it nice NOT having tim around anymore? LOL

Sorry for all of the issues.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

redz, i wasn't sure if that question was meant for me... i've sent you a pm about it otherwise