Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My Turbo Goals .. Suggestions?

Old 01-23-2005, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Turbo Goals .. Suggestions?

im looking for suggestions opinions or any help towards my turbo project..
to start my turbo project i want to run 7 psi max as a daily driver...
here is a list of what i think i need in order to reach my goal.. please point out anything that i DO NOT need or do need to run at 7 psi..

Turbine (T3/T4)(50 Trim)
Log Manifold internally gated
Downpipe
370cc injectors
FMIC
Charge Pipes
Fuel Management Unit (SAFC or SMT6)
Oil lines
Wideband o2
Fuel Pump
BOV
Boost Controller

am i forgetting anything?

i figure this is what i want to start out with first before i start adding extras later on when i bump up the psi.
is all of this necessary? or can i take some stuff out and wait on it till i bump up the psi?

and also.. with this setup how much whp am i looking at roughly?

thanks alot
Old 01-23-2005, 01:16 AM

Im about to go turbo and have been researching for the past couple of months. If your running only 7psi for now then you shouldnt need the injectors,wideband o2 or the SAFC or SMT-6. You do need some kind of fmu though, like the vortech 12:1 though. Its just much cheaper and enough for what your looking for right now. I would also sugsest a Blow Off Valve to keep your turbo living longer.
Your expected WHP should be slightly under 200 I think. Like I said I have yet to acctually go turbo, but Iv talked to many people and read a numerous write-ups.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:10 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, stock injectors should be fine... I'd recommend the T3 Super 60 over the T3/T04E. You won't need the S-AFC, the wideband, and probably the fuel pump. All you would need, from what I've heard from Tim, is the Vortech FMU he sells up to 8PSI.

You will need a blow-off valve. It keeps the pressure off the turbo. Your going to need boost, oil pressure, and EGT gauges most likely as well. A turbo timer would also be a good idea so you don't have to sit in your car for 5 minutes after you drive waiting for the oil to dispurse.

I'd guesstimate 185WHP.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:19 PM

yeea.. when i was planning this, i was thinking the injectors, safc would be optional and only needed if i boosted any higher.

So i wouldnt need a fuel pump as well?

if i ran on stock injectors and a FMU and no safc or wideband, then how would they tune it? would it even need to be tuned?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Your horsepower is so low its within the computer's intelligence. The FMU will run you pig rich, but safe. 8PSI with no fuel control device I wouldn't expect more than 170-185hp... depending on the condition of your car.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

I'll second the slightly smaller turbo too. The T3/T4 is too large for the setup you want/have listed.

Just above this thread there is a sticky about Compressor Maps and how to read them. Take a look at some compressor maps for those two turbo's. Make sure you're in the limits of the turbo's capabilities. In my intial thinking (I have done no calculation) the T3/T4 will spool higher in the rpm band, taking longer to reach maximum boost, thus creating less power. The T3 Super 60 on the other hand is spools earlier in the rpm band reaching maximum boost early creating a little more power.

Keep in mind that is just for your goals there, the T3/T4 is a good turbo but you need to be running a little larger setup in my opinion.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:39 PM

yeea i understand all that and i've already thought about it and im sticking with the t3/t4..
this is just my initial setup for me to get started but i will be raising boost after that..
Old 01-23-2005, 03:48 PM

You might as well buy it all and set it up at once while you have the car torn to pieces. Get some 9:1 or 8.5:1 pistons while your at it, and a 2.5 or 3inch exhaust as well (Don't know if you already have one... but turbo its needed).
Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 AM

yeea.. but do to certain circumstances, i'm going to do a basic setup first as i wrote in the original post and add the extra parts a bit later when i up the boost

but does everythign sound good up there? anything im missing? so do we all agree that the safc/smt6, injectors, wideband and fuel pump are not needed at that low of boost?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Yes it is agreed that those are not needed, but it is suggested as then you'll have control over your fuel delivery. If it is only for a daily driver or something then you could run with out them. But if you boost alot or dirve the car hard, unfortunately I do this, then I think it would be a good idea to save the life of your engine.