Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My setup, well some of it!

Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

more than i ever wanted to know, lol i race at the track here in ohio, thats it.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

QUOTE (Turboron_99 @ Mar 28 2010, 10:59 PM)
This is valid, you just have to crank up boost, becasue if you make 8 psi on a tune at sea level, and you try to ran at Bandi or anywhere around 6000ft you will fill the effects because the air is less dense and you will be compressing at the same rate which means less boost. So with a turbo car you can compensate for the lack of air desity by boosting harder. Yet, you must be aware less air more boost=Nasty turbo lag! Plus, you cant forget if you are running a stand alone you will be running super rich. So really it still effects you, and a cool thing about elevation is that cars and other vehicles alone last long because they make less power which technically mean less wear.

I am no turbo expert, but I don't think it works that way.

I believe the wastegate lets the engine see 1bar + your set boost. So, if you're boosting .5bar, your engine normally has air at 1.5bar coming through the throttle body. If the air is less dense, I believe the wastegate will still open at 1.5bar so as long as your turbo can make enough boost to exceed what the wastegate is set at high altitude won't have much of an effect. It'll have some effect at any point in the rpm/load range that the turbo can't exceed the wastegate's setting, and that'll be a slightly larger range than at sea level because there's less air to work with overall. Driving around town off boost you would feel the same effects as a N/A car at high elevations with sluggish acceleration, etc.

If you were running a supercharger with no wastegate that fed air in at a static compression ratio, say 1.5:1 that would be 1.5bar at sea level but less at higher altitudes, but I am pretty sure that no matter what if a wastegate is involved and you make more boost than the wastegate is set at you won't be effected.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

This makes sense I kind of forgot about the wastegate staying shut longer sense the air will be less dense