Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My latest turbo project

Old 12-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My latest turbo project

Hey guys,

Almost finished up with some turbo projects, figured I would share them with you and see what you all thought (all feedback/discussions/input welcome).

My goal with this project was to make an inexpensive, reliable, and low power setup, keeping things as simple and easy as possible. I also wanted the manifold, turbo, and downpipe to hug up close to the engine to give a lot of clearance in the engine compartment, and avoid having to modify anything.

• 2001 Hyundai Elantra 2.0l
  • Saab TB25, oil and water cooled turbo with a 4psi internal wastegate
  • Stainless log style manifold, and downpipe that mates up to the stock exhaust
  • MAF/MAP voltage clamp
  • Device to trigger ECU into open loop at 1psi or more of boost (connects to the TPS)

I wanted to see how far I could push the stock fuel system, and see if I could get away with 4psi (I have a wideband air/fuel gauge/datalogger, along with OBDII monitor so I can make sure its safe and working properly). The next step is the 7psi internal wastegate, paired with the Perfect Power KLS-8T6.

Here are some pics:

Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Damn son, that's a neat looking setup. I like what you are doing with the engine management - nice and simple and low key. How accurate can you get the KLS-8T6?
Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 PM

Vehicle: 1999/hyundai/tiburon

Overall, I like what your doing with this project. I would be interested in a setup like this if everything seems to workout!!! Just keep the updates coming. How much would a setup like this cost?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:39 PM

Thanks!

The KLS-8T6 has a TON of resolution. Also paired up with a 2 bar external map sensor, that gives roughly 2.5 volts worth of signal to represent 14.7psi of boost, which is also way more resolution than is needed. RD1cuda, I'll send ya a PM
Old 12-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by Mahonroy
downpipe that mates up to the stock exhaust

I'd like to see a blanket on the turbo that close to the engine, but that's nitpicking what looks to be an outstanding example of getting off to a good start.

I was ready to jump when you started about using stock engine management, but so long as that's for low power and you plan to go straight to proper tuning in short order, I'm for it.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Looks like stock engine management gets fooled into thinking it's pootling along at 3k rpm once this hits boost - then the piggyback takes over. Very elegant solution.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM

Some updates: Project turned out really well, this is a fun turbocharger on these engines. We ended up ditching the idea of the 4psi setup with no fuel controller... we couldn't get the wastegate to allow boost pressures that low without going to an external setup. From monitoring the air/fuel ratio, we would only be able to run 3psi anyways before the engine would start to run lean due to the OEM ECU. So we upped the boost, installed the fuel controller, and it runs great now. Currently tuned it up to 10 psi, and we are still using the stock exhaust system. Something to note as well, we got this car with 160,000 miles on it, bone stock, and didn't change a thing (we left the spark plugs and wires, and re-used all the gaskets during installation). I thought it was pretty cool how well these engines take to boost, even the high mileage ones.

Updated photo:

Old 02-05-2014, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 99 Hyundai Lantra

Very tidy setup. Was gonna say you wont get far on stock fuel setup, but you already figured that out.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

Nice easy quick setup !