Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

My Build Thread v4.0

Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

This wiring process takes forever. It's hard to know what supplies you need ahead of time (connectors, terminals, wire length/size/color, heat shrink length/size, etc.) So I'll work to a point, realize I need more parts, order, wait a week for it to arrive, then work some more. It really has to do with me wanting to do it semi-professionally and use parts that aren't available locally. I'm using Amphenol connectors, Raychem DR-25 shrink, and ordered a Bussmann water-proof relay/fuse box that needs every pin wired up. It's a looooong process.

As of now, I'm doing what I can to finalize the terminals to the sensors, but leaving the leads open in the middle. This way, once the car is running, I'll go back and trim the lengths and add more DR-25. I'm pondering the idea of adding a mil-spec bulkhead connector. Even though that would look killer, the amount of time and headache to connect all the pins while being very careful to match them up.... I'd probably go nuts in the middle of it.

aem-30-3532-d.jpg
Old 04-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The idea of a firewall connector is fun*, but it's not going to be worth the effort. In my opinion, anyway.

*fun, until I recall that building canon plug style connectors is a gigantic pain in the butt
Old 05-11-2017, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tib

Still at it I see ..Looks like I'll be uninstalling and reinstalling my Haltech sport 1000 soon as well..oh what fun ! ..Been away for awhile, but the build bug just bit me again lol, Just like you Jon,Ive got alot of other things on the go,so,may take awhile... I wish I had a bulkhead connector.. lots of work but ,would be the cats ass for me atm.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 AM

Yea, if you had done it before, it would be a cakewalk to take out and reinstall into the new body. That's why I was seriously thinking about it, even though it would take a few days to splice in.

I kinda got burned out on the wiring, so I'm still stuck on wiring the fuse box in. I plan to get back on it in a few days though.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Jon when you finish you can come to NH and wire up a new standalone for me right?

I'm too lazy to do that kind of work anymore haha.

Firewall connector is now or never, I say do it.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:53 AM

Haha, same here man. I feel like I'm just too old to do this anymore. These kind of projects take up way too much time and energy, and that is something that I'm constantly lacking.

I will definitely have a nice surprise for you should you decide to go the Elite route. I have marked up the wiring diagram extensively so it's a breeze to connect to Hyundai sensors. Then I should have the startup file ready to go shortly after.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon

You mean one of these? I had the same dilemma when I installed the Link G4+

I say go for it because it's pretty.

I brought the 61pin mil spec kit from rywire.com
Old 05-23-2017, 02:53 PM

That's essentially what I've done. They use the same DR-25, but my harness doesn't cost $800+. lol Did you buy the $2000 custom harness kit? Or a DIY?

I'm gonna need more than a 60pin. I believe the larger connectors cost $150+, so I'm gonna hold off a bit.

Looks like you did a COP conversion? Which coils did you go with?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:21 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon

I brought the diy kit and wired the ecu side myself then I had some help wiring the engine side and wrapping with raychem sleeving and breakout boots etc. I'm really pleased with it as the car has never run so well since installing the Link ecu.

I'm actually running a Toyota COP setup thanks to your DIY over at new tib, I really appreciate posts as detailed as that

You need more that 60 pins for your engine? Wow so many sensors... I grouped together a bunch of power and signal grounds when I built mine so I had enough pins for extra sensors like the gearbox oil temp, flex fuel, intercooler pre/post temp sensors then a few spare pins wired for future use.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:41 AM

Oh, hi there!

Still have the "racecar". Still have the 99 Evo converted FX. In fact, I'm driving it to work now because 13mpg diesel in the F250 is a bitch.

I still have hopes to get back to this one day, even if it means paying someone. But, having a family takes up all your time and money. No regrets though!